Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having with IE 6, when I try to use the search function on a webpage such as ebay, buy.com, or any other site with a search function, an error occurs and IE closes. I am using XP professional and I removed the "send error report" function as suggested in a previous thread, but I am still having the problem. Please Help- I need to do some christmas shopping!
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am having the same exact problem and have been trying to fix it for days. I have tried everything I have been told. I just want to know how to completely remove IE6 so I can reinstall fresh. I have gone into add/remove programs, but appaenlty that did not completely remove IE6, because when I try to reinstall, a screen comes up indicating that I already have the latest version and setup cannot continue!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,795 Posts
Hiya

djfortafan: You say you've removed the error reporting tool, but you are still experincing errors. Do these come in the form of a popup box with a Details button on it? If so, click it and copy the contents here.

Also, try this. Go to Tools | Internet Options. Advanced tab. Under Browsing, look for Disable Script Debugging and tick that. Underneath that will be Display a Notification about every script error. Untick that. Apply and OK.

John: I have put a reply about how to drop down to your older version of IE in your other thread.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
try running the repair of IE6 in add/remove... you will be asked if you want to uninstall or repair/fix it.... choose fix /repair.

Savvy :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't seem to find the fix/repair function. I used it before when I was running 98- but I am using xp now and i can't find it anywhere- not even in windows help. So- I'm at square one:(

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There is not an option to remove IE 6 in XP since it is the default version that comes with XP.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and install it from the microsoft site to see if that works. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/default.asp

One thing I always do, is make sure I have a copy of a different web browser installed on my PC's. This way if something crops up like you have experinced, I can use my alternate. Currently, I have Opera 6.0 installed as my alternative for when those things go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
37,795 Posts
Hiya

I know this says for version 5.5, but it may work:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q194177

Right at the bottom.

Now, we could try some other things whilst we wait :p

Go to Tools | Internet Options. Security tab. make sure you're on Internet, then click Custom Level. Click Reset, Yes, OK.

eddie

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi-
I have attached the error details. I tried using the fix for ie5.5 that was suggested earlier, but it won't work for me. It requires the fix/repair function that I do not have.

I have reset my security level to the default. I have also tried to reinstall ie 6 from microsoft's website but I have recieved no love from the computer gods.

Thanks!
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
46,025 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.