Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IE 5.5 wants to associate itself with jpg files

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  hewee 
#1 ·
This started happening today, when I was on-line in a game room. I tried to pull up IE while the game room was quiet. IE got an error message, which I didn't consider anything to be concerned with. BUT NOW... It doesn't want to start at all. And it wants to associate itself with my photos! I had *no* problem accessing the photos prior to this misbehaving.

The error message I get is:

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module SHELL32.DLL at 0137:7fdc10a0.
Registers:
EAX=0000a034 CS=0137 EIP=7fdc10a0 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=005203fc SS=013f ESP=005890d8 EBP=00589100
ECX=00432006 DS=013f ESI=00427fd4 FS=2d9f
EDX=0000a000 ES=013f EDI=ffffffff GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
66 83 39 00 75 f3 c2 04 00 6a 00 e8 6f ff ff ff
Stack dump:
7fdc152f 00427fd4 ffffffff 71112a50 005203fc 711127a2 00427fd4 71115e1c 00427fd4 00000000 00589138 71113e61 0058a258 0058a258 71112a40 005203fc

And when I close that box, I get another box saying that there was an Internal Error.

All I know from the above is that lots of times, .dll files aren't necessary, but I'm not going to delete this one without guidance.

Hope someone can help!
Thanking you in advance,
-diana

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for your timely response, Eddie!

I deleted the Search Bar value, as was recommended, and IE now comes up. However, it *still* wants to go after my photos; I have to log-off to see if I can pull up the photos off-line...

(I'll let you know how that goes.)

Thanks again!
-diana:D

#4 ·
Open the program that you use to see your image with and maybe all you need to is check a box for the file types that image program opens.

What program is it you use to open images?

Another thing you can do and you will have to do this for each image type is high light the image file and then right click on it and pick "open with" Uncheck the always use this file type to open this type of file and find the program you want to use to open the image.
Then when you know all works ok you can go back and check the box to aways open with the program that you picked.

#5 ·
hewee:

I don't open my photos with a program... Maybe that's where the IE wanting to associate with the photos comes into play: I had saved the photos off the 'net and off a photodisk directly to my hard-drive, then copied them to floppies. When I click on "Properties" for the photos, they just come up as c: based jpg files. :(

When I saved them as bmp files, they come up with the Paint program, on their own.

eddie: IE still wants to associate with the photos, but at least the photos can be seen... I'm concerned about trying to view the photos should I use the floppies on a pc that does not have IE...
:confused:

Thanks for your respones!
-diana :cool:

#6 ·
Hiya

Just twigged. I was only answering the first part.

as for the second, are you saying that when you open a picture, it gets shown in the same type of window that you use when surfing? If so, its normal. I have that and I have just upgraded. Had it on Win98, and on WinNT at work.

If you use it on another PC without IE and, say, Netscape, I will assume it loads in that browser.

Regards

eddie

#8 ·
dianaaspenhill,

So all is ok now I see.

But if you want a image viewing program that will let you see many types there are many out there.

I use ACDsee but that cost you.
There is IrfanView a Freeware Graphic Viewer
http://www.irfanview.com/

#9 ·
hewee:

I downloaded the irfanview program, but then I couldn't open it! I believe it downloaded as a zip file, and I don't have zippy. If not zip, what should I associate it with?

I once tried downloading a zip program, but it got me nowhere.

Now my applets won't work. This is what I get for messing with my pc.
*sigh*

-diana

#11 ·
Hi, eddie. :cool:

Just had an earthquake out here; nothing "big", but still felt it. (I think experiencing these earthquakes is just the neatest darn thing.:D )

Anyhow, Winzip is what I had downloaded and attempted to use on many occassions. I would follow the steps and never get anywhere with it. It has been many moons since I had tried it, so I can't give you specifics as to what I was/wasn't getting, 'cept that the files wouldn't unzip (or maybe they WERE unzipped and I didn't know what to do with them). What I recall is that I would get to a certain point in the Wizard (maybe not Wizard???) and the files wouldn't come up as they should.

As for the applet, I had been using Word Whomp in Pogo (fun word game -- try it! :p ) and everything was peachy until I decided to "clean up" my "uneccesary" files. BIG MISTAKE. *THAT* is how all this mess got started. SO now, when I try to load the game, I get an error message from the game site saying that my applet appears to be corrupted...

I went to the Microsoft support site and typed in "applet corrupted" in the search area and came up with nothing that would apply to my problem. (And it IS all about ME... :rolleyes: )

So, Eddie Across the Pond, if this is something that your grey matter could decipher, I would gladly buy you a Wimpy's on Tues...

-diana

#12 ·
Okay

I have version 7 which is good enough for me. Did you have it set as Classic? I know this may be going back a bit.

As for Irfanview, rightclick the file that you downloaded and look at Properties. Does it tell you its a .zip?

Now, the applet. now, you say you cleaned some files up. Can you remember what they were? It may not be too late. Lets try a restore.

Reboot to DOS and at the prompt, type the following. There is a space before the /

scanreg /restore

and choose a date prior to when you deleted the files. Don't pick the oldest date.

If this is a no go, then lets have a look at the site. You can win Money!!!! might check it out, though its in $'s :(

Sorry, got sidetracked.

You might want to try a repair.

Control Panel | AddRemove. Doubleclick Microsoft Internet Explorer. Choose Repair, apply and restart.

Regards

eddie

#15 ·
Great

I was reading back and you said you deleted Winzip. Was that the program or the downloaded zip for the program?

I made a mistake, I'm on v8. Do you have it installed? winzip that is? If so, I can walk you through it.

Regards

eddie

#17 ·
Oh sure. :rolleyes:
"I had been using Word Whomp in Pogo," she says, "Fun word game -- try it!"

So, for the sole purpose of trying to find where they might have placed your "bad applet", I went to Pogo's Word Whomp, and I "tried" it...
I tried it all day yesterday, and I tried it all night last night!

Now it won't leave me alone!
"Just play one more game," it says to me, "Just one more...Then you can go to bed."
"Click the Ok to play button...That's right..."

Will somebody please direct me to the nearest WWA, (Word Whompers Anonymous), group in my area? :confused:

;)

Any Yahoo! games I've ever played usually produce an applet in my C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder.
If they go bad, I just right-click on them, choose Remove, then go back to the game site for a new applet.
Not so with Pogo games.

Are you able to play Word Whomp alright now, after repairing IE?
Do you empty your Temporary Internet Files on a regular basis?
(In IE, click Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files button.)

As for WinZip, you may have downloaded and installed the WinZip Self-Extractor, instead of WinZip.
I did, by accident, years ago, and no matter how may people told me that WinZip was "so easy to use", it wasn't.
All the walk-throughs I got made no sense at all, because I had the wrong program.

Go to www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm, and click to download WinZip 8.0.

If anyone needs me, I'll be beating up gophers at Pogo...

#18 ·
I hope this is coherent: I have been drinking too much tea right now, and I can tell that my thoughts are wanting to wander...

Let me see now...
For the Irfan, there is a problem with my IE being "branded" by my ISP. This does not currently concern me, as I have another ISP "waiting in the wings". I will only be royally p-o'd if, when I install the new ISP, my IE continues to be branded with the old ISP. (Grrrrr!)

Winzip: I will attempt to download it when I no longer have a branded ISP.

"I have version 7 which is good enough for me. Did you have it set as Classic? I know this may be going back a bit."
I have ~no~ clue as to what you are referring to!

Oh, wait = just read down a bit; nope, don't have Winzip installed for the above referrenced "branded" thingy.

Yeah, hewee, thanks for posting the direct link to irfan. I even tried a couple of other sites that have something similar to irfan, and they didn't want to download = evil branded IE.

~*Signature*~:
I was SOOOOO *LOL*, reading your post!!!
I do believe that you & I have the same Winzip prob, as (from what I recall) I had the Winzip EXTRACTOR! As if there's a difference??? Hmmm... Must be!

BTW: what *is* the extractor used for?...? (A proctological exam comes to mind.):eek:

Okay, I just attempted download Winzip from the link that you posted, Signature.
The thing says that it is downloading. Then it says it is done.
Can I find it on my PC?
Nooooooooo.
Feh! Stupid Evil Branded ISP!:mad:

Gonna mosey and do other stuff (besides Word Womp).
-diana

#19 ·
Sorry you can't download.

I use Netscape so can't help ya with I.E.
I know I.E. has a lot of settings so maybe you have something that checked or uncheck that needs to be changed.
Just a guess here but that one file was a zip and you got it ok but are the ones you can't download a .exe?
If so it must be a Security setting that is stopping ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.