Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get an old AMD up and running.
I'm able to install win xp, copies the files to the drive but when its done (and should be booting from the HD it keeps booting back to the xp cd.)
also during post it comes up "ATA 100 is not installed because there was no drive installed"

the mobo has 2 sets of IDE ports. (tryed the drives in both) has 2 blue and 2 black.
The drive is fine , I tryed it in a working system and it installed windows and booted fine.
If i remove the xp cd then it just says no disk present.
I tryed several IDE cables so it can't be that.
tryed many different settings in bios, including bringing back to default. tryed enabling and disabling the ATAT 100 . assuming thats a raid controller.

not sure what to do next.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You have a secondary IDE controller, probably something like the Promise IDE controller installed. This may also be an on-board RAID controller, try disabling any RAID capability in the BIOS. Most likely, resetting the BIOS to factory defaults will reset the RAID capability.

Finally, you may still need the disk controller drivers, depending on the specific MB in question. It would help a bunch if you actually told us the make/model of the MB, so we could help you further.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems I have an asus A7V board.

after searching the web in a Q&A it says:

"Why isn't my ATA-66/100 hard drive detected?
Promise IDE controller has a separate IDE BIOS that are not in the normal BIOS screen. Please continue to let the computer boot and it will then detect the IDE BIOS. This is where you configure your ATA100 hard drives and components. "

in the bios itself some of the features are...

Advance -> onboard PCI IDE enable = both

symbios SCSI BIOS = disable

Boot --> IDE hard drive = none or disable :(

SCSI/ATA 100 boot sequence [ata100/SCSI]

load onboard ATA bios --auto or disable.

wondering if a bios update would be the next step or what.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You need to load the Promise drivers during the XP install, and then it'll run just fine. :) I have a system with the Promise controller on-board, it boots from those drives fine with the drivers installed. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.