Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi , can anyone help me? i know there are a lot of you out there who probably have way bigger problems than mine but i have a beautiful photo of my wife on my desktop and all of a sudden i realised today that the boxes with the names of the icons are now coloured! they are spoiling my desktop. i'm pretty sure they used to be clear or see through as i have never noticed them before. can you help? i am running XP pro on an IBM laptop. Whole setup is about 5 yrs old i think...maybe a touch more.
thanks....chef0001

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Go to ontrol Panel, then System, then Advanced, then Performance area, then Settings button Visual Effects tab. Make sure Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop is selected.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also make sure you don't have the desktop icons locked..

Right click on any blank desktop space>Arrange Icons By>make sure "Lock Web Items on Desktop" isn't checked

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there.....thanks for the answer but they still seem to have a highlighted box around them
regardless. i am at a loss. may just change background to hide them. thanks tho

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dear techychick,
the last post you sent me with the links to those other posts did the trick! thank you so much! i have my desktop back now and it is unspoilt! if i ever meet you in a bar i owe you a drink! thank so much! have a great one! :)
jay

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you would really like to see your wife's picture, why not remove ALL of the icons. Most can be moved to the Windows Classic Start menu. If you have some left over, enable the quick launch area on the task bar and stash the rest there.

Enjoy the picture! An added benefit is that all the programs are available without going to the desktop...just two clicks from whatever you are viewing.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
The last link techychick gave for another forum with someone with the same problem. It was 5 pages of advise, and the thing that solved it could have been solved by simply restarting but the person with the problem didn't want to restart because they said it takes too long....how frustrating!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.