Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometmes come back from my lunch hour to find that my internet doesn't work. Usually it's the LAN Settings under Connections that have been changed, the proxy server addess or port will have been changed very slightly, just by one character, to something that doesn't exist, and the change will be different every time. Also I sometimes find that, under the Accessibility button, there are checks in the Formatting dialogue box where there shouldn't be, so when I get my LAN Settings back to normal, my web pages look awful, with large ugly fonts, until I uncheck the boxes.

I know I could just lock my PC everytime I leave the office, but this would not stop someone from the central IT dept from messing with it, am I right?

Is there a program that will password-protect permission to change my Internet Settings, in a similar way to how Anti-spyware programs prevent changes to one's home page?

·
Registered
137 Posts
change your password and lock your computer. That way somebody there would have to really have it out for you to change it. A place I used to work at 1 guy would leave his computer unlocked and people would send emails from his account say stupid things to other people in the office.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We use to do that here, some poor fellow would leave his PC unlocked and he'd somehow admit he was gay.. Childish sure, but we're all friends goofin around. Wait until they change your HOSTS file and it's the last thing you even think to check. Or know how to check. I wouldn't think if you locked your PC someone from your IT department would care that much to pester you. It's more then likely a friend you have messing around. Like you said, and the past comments. Lock your PC when you leave. Where I work it's required or you can likely get in trouble since each pc houses tons of personal information for our customers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I sometmes come back from my lunch hour to find that my internet doesn't work. Usually it's the LAN Settings under Connections that have been changed, the proxy server addess or port will have been changed very slightly, just by one character, to something that doesn't exist, and the change will be different every time. Also I sometimes find that, under the Accessibility button, there are checks in the Formatting dialogue box where there shouldn't be, so when I get my LAN Settings back to normal, my web pages look awful, with large ugly fonts, until I uncheck the boxes.

I know I could just lock my PC everytime I leave the office, but this would not stop someone from the central IT dept from messing with it, am I right?

Is there a program that will password-protect permission to change my Internet Settings, in a similar way to how Anti-spyware programs prevent changes to one's home page?
Get a screen lock software to lock your screen whenever you going out to lunch...
Search on google for: lock your screen softwares...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the above suggestions. maybe a spycam would be a very interesting option!

but for now, I've downloaded a great little program called TouchLocker, that locks my mouse and keyboard after a user-defined period of inactivity, and doesn't hide the desktop to show the Win XP login screen. I didn't want those passing my screen to see that I'd suddenly started to lock completely out of Windows, because I didn't want the innocent parties to feel that I distrust them too, but TouchLocker is very discreet and you'd never know that the mouse/keyboard is locked until you try to use them.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the question now is... Has this solved the issue, when you come back from your lunches is everything the way you left it? (Knowing it's some bugger around the office, or if it's something more serious)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.