Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I got home last night and the computer was on, but the screen was blank. It won't boot up and the status light on the monitor blinks like it's not getting any signal. The past few days, the computer's been freezing and locking up with increasing frequency. I suspected overheating so I cleaned out the dust and the temp monitor read normally. Now when I turn it on, the fans and drives start up normally, but that's it. Nothing on the monitor. I made sure all the cards and memory were seated properly, to no avail. Any ideas? Did I blow the CPU or video card? Thanks. :confused:
P4 2.2
GeForce Ti4600
512Mb DDR
Audigy Platinum

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Substitute another video card and it "should" work... ;)

Sounds like it's booting up but you just can't see it because the screen is blank. Try your monitor on another computer just to be sure... :)

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
You need to check 3 things.

1.)Video Card

2.)Video Card

3.)Video Card

Everything is pointing to the video card ;)

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
have you or can you borrow another p/supply to put in,no beeps generally indicate p/s or m/b
try resetting the cmos first

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. My curiosity brings another question tho. How do I know its the video card and not the CPU? If the card was bad, wouldn't it boot up with the standard drivers? Thanks

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
You have to either put that video card in another computer, or install a new video card in this computer.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
No if the video card was toast you would boot without any display and there would be a series of long and short beeps. If your computer seems to be booting (fans spinning, drives active, etc) then perhaps it’s a checksum error try clearing CMOS and see if that clears up things for now. Then check the voltage reading on the CMOS battery if it’s less then 75% then replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've made some progress of a sort. When all else fails, read the directions. I checked the MOBO manual and discovered there are diagnostic LED's on the USB bracket. Who knew? The LED's indicated a problem with the CPU either malfunctioning or not installed correctly. I re-seated the cpu and whaddaya know the computer booted right up. I can't imagine how it got unseated in the first place, but whatever. Unfortunately, the computer doesn't work today. It starts to boot normally, going past the Windows start-up screen and all until it gets to where background color appears. At that point before the icons show up, the screen goes black. It will complete the start-up in safe mode, yet the device manger doesn't show any problems. The other difference I noticed last night, playing SimCity is a lot of black dots(pixels?) that appear randomly on screen. If it was an LCD display, I'd think dead pixels. Today in safe mode I notice random patches of yellow in the device manager menu. Did I fry the graphic card?
Thinking ahead, if I did, what's the better choice, ATI or nVidia? Thanks

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
kwebike said:
I can't imagine how it got unseated in the first place
It's those dang Keebler elves... they do that stuff all the time :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw the pointy shoes and hat, it should have been a dead giveaway. But the cookies were real good. I run Windows 98SE, no "last good configuration" option. Thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you go back and re-read your original post, you had freezing/lock up problems and tried to clean out the machine - this could have been when the CPU got screwed up....

You've managed to get that straightened out, but it sounds like you're back to square one.

Sounds like it may be time for a clean install of Win98SE. This could serve two purposes: straighten out the lock ups, and more importantly, with a clean install, ensure that those lockups were due to software issues and not a potentially permanent hardware failure. (if on the clean/bare install you still have issues, could point you in hardware direction).

Just my two cents,

MBN

·
Registered
188 Posts
Also, try this. In the option where the safe mode is, choose enable boot logging. Then boot into safe mode. Look for the bootlog.txt file. Copy it and post it here.

Hope your problem is fixed! Will be waiting for your reply!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm making some progress. The problem was in fact the graphics card. i re-installed Win98and replaced the card with a Gigabyte Radeon9600XT and the computer boots up every time, so far. my next question is how to get rid of the remnants of the old drivers. I uninstalled every thing to do with nVidia and removed the nVidia display drivers from the Device manager before installing the new card and drivers. Now when I boot up, windows looks for a device file "C:\WINDOWS\system\VMM32\enable.exe" I'm assuming this is related to the old graphic card because I find the nVidia display drivers still listed in the Add/Remove Programs list, despite the fact that I removed them. I tried to remove them again and the computer won't let it happen. Any ideas? and how do I get rid of the warning message about the file? I'm thinking there's something left in the registry or INI file? Thanks

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
If you know your way around the registry then that's the straight forward way to go. I think you'll be a lot happier with that ATI card ;)

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
pronute said:
No if the video card was toast you would boot without any display and there would be a series of long and short beeps
This is not always the case. It all depends on the set up. All of his/her symptoms pointed to a video card ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.