Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up the tiny Netscape Messenger icon (airmail envelope) in my Quick Launch Pad when I inadvertently clicked on "Create Shortcut" when I meant to click on Properties. As a result, I have
an extra Netscape Messenger shortcut on my Desktop, but no longer have an airmail icon in my QLP. Where can I find a new copy of the airmail envelope icon, and how do I get it back into my QLP? (Going Start\Programs\Communicator\ etc...
doesn't allow me to drag an icon down into my QLP)
Thank you for your assistance. Lee

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Here's how to fix it. Open the Quick Launch Folder by putting your mouse on the divider on the left next to the start button until a double arrow appears and right clicking. A menu will pop up. Choose "Open Folder" Right Click on an empty Space in the folder and cnoose new shortcut.
You'll need the path to netscape.exe. Here's mine. Add the-mail at the end.

D:\netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe -mail

name it Netscape Messenger.
Now you will need to right click on the finished product and choose properties. Click the change Icon button. You'll find the icon you are looking for in the File which will open for you. Select that and click Ok And then Ok again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mosaic1:
When I cursor to the divider immediately adjacent to the Start button and right click on the dbl arrow, the menu I see doesn't have "Open Folder", and when I move to the right edge of *what-used-to-be* my QLP (I'll explain later), I get a much longer menu, but no "Open Folder".

Here is what I can do: rt clk on open space on Desktop/choose New/clk on Shortcut/clk on Browse/ and there is my desired icon!/clk on Open/clk on Next/clk on Finish/Done. BUT, I didn't get what I wanted! The icon turns out to be "different", and it's on my Desktop rather than in my QLP or Taskbar.

"Used-to-be": I'll have to put this in another msg if I can do it properly.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I think maybe we need to establish whether or not we are talking about the same thing. Are you using a utility called Quick Launch Pad? Or are we discussing the Quick Launch Toolbar which comes with Windows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Used-to-be": During my earliest attempts to get the Netscape airmail icon back into the QLP area I made my general problem even worse. The next day when I turned my machine on, I found that the QLP and the regular Taskbar had exchanged places! I then slid the movable divider all the way back to the left as close as I could get to the Start button so that the Taskbar is now only about one inch wide. Open and running apps now go into this small space until it is full and then a small "spin" icon appears.

Meanwhile, my two remaining icons are to the right of the divider in the area that used to be my Taskbar. I can't figure out how to get the two areas put back into their proper arrangement. I suppose that I could push the movable divider all the way back toward the Tray and try to live with it, but that would upset my rigid psyche. Woe is me!! Thank you for your help!!! Lee

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
That's why you didn't get the same menu. You need to position the mouse on the divider belonging to the Quick Launch Toolbar.
Try this to get your taskbar back to the way you like it. Right click on an empty space on the QL. Select Close Toolbar.

Now close all other applications down. Nothing on that taskbar except systray on the far right.
Right click on the empty taskbar and Choose Toolbars. Select Quick Launch again.
It should be next to the start button again. If not, drag it there.

It's all a matter of moving things around. If you are totally flummoxed you can try two other things.
The first is to boot to Safe Mode and then back into windows. After a trip pto Safe Mode, the default taskbar may return. However, your desktop won't look the same and other settings may change as well.

The second is to go into the registry and remove the key for the taskbar. When you restart, a new taskbar will be created and the Default settings will be in place. In other words. A fresh start.
Here's how:
GO to start>run and type regedit. Press enter. Navigate(same method as in Windows Explorer, clicking the + signs to expand the branches) to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects

In the left pane, right click on StuckRects and choose Delete from the menu. Close the registry
Reboot Windows to recreate the Taskbar.

Now try my method to recreate the icon in quick Launch.
If no joy, reinstall Netscape on top of itself. Go to the Netscape Folder and find the cc32d (version#) .exe and double click on it. It will tell you there is already a version installed and the location. It will recommend that you install in the same location. Do that. See if it recreates the missing Shortcut for you.

Hope it helps.

Mo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mosaic 1: I didn't know that there was an utility by that name. I have been referring to the small launch pad area next to the Start button located on the Taskbar. (However, now, the Taskbar and the launch pad have exchanged locations with each other! Hope this helps! Lee

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Lee,
Thanks for clarifying that. Yes. that's the Quick Launch toolbar. Try my suggestions in the above post.

If you don't know how to boot to safe mode, here are the directions:

Reboot. Hold the Ctrl button down until you see the black boot menu. Choose Safe Mode.
When you get there, the screen will look different. Don't worry about that. You will be in VGA mode. Which means your Video drivers are not loaded. To get out again go to start> shut down and choose to restart Windows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mosaic1:

In my first reply I mentioned that I tried both dividers to no avail. I will now try your first of three new remedies. The remaining two remedies look much too formidable for me, so I hope that all goes well. Thank you... Lee

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Mosaic1, do you think all he/she needs to do is to right click on that "extra" icon, delete it, and the other one that was there, was just shoved over a bit, and will re-appear?????

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Aca Candy,
Might be. Good idea. I think lee is going to have to move things around and see what's going on.

Lee,
If you need to remove the taskbar an are afraid to go into the registry youself, here's a registry file to accomplish tath task for you. Copy the Bold to Notepad. Save as taskbar.reg
Double click on the file to enter into the registry.
Reboot to rebuild new taskbar.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects]

When you copy and paste this into Notepad it will look different. It should. Ignore that.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
One thing at a time. but you can also open the Quick Launch Folder in Explorer by going to:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

You'll find the Quick Launch Folder in there. Have a look to see what is inside. Maybe AcaCandy has a point and you are not seeing everything. You can alos create a new shortcut directly in this folder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mosaic1 and AcaCandy:

I went far enough along the road towards carrying out your first remedy to be able to see that it probably will work... BUT, I'm afraid to close out my current QL toolbar for fear that I'll never get back into this little toolbar the three icons that I want to be there (so far, I haven't been able to get even *one* of them back into the present QL toolbar!!!) I could live with having misplaced toolbars if necessary, but I can't live without my airmail icon being in my present QLP.

I truly appreciate all the help you have provided, but I now have to take a break for the next 4 or 5 hours. As for the gender question, I am an 81-year-old-grandfather who still thinks that DOS is a hellavalot better than Windoze but then old codgers never die in their own minds. Thanks a lot... Lee

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Lee Erlandson,
Sorry about the gender confusion. The Quick Launch Toolbar is created from the Folder in
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Closing the toolbar won't change its contents.
Take a break. Come back later if you need more help.

There's also the possibility that your Quicl Launch Toolbar is damaged. But wait on that. IT's easy enough to recreate. IF you are worried about losing the shortcuts, copy them a antother Folder as backup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mosaic1!

I just had to take time out to watch Mich State University beat the University of Michigan by the skin of its teeth; wait for my wife to come home from a shopping trip to Detroit, grill some salmon for dinner, and wipe dishes after dinner.

My first objective is really nothing more than to get the airmail letter icon back into my QLP area no matter where QLP may be located on my taskbar. But I guess that I am willing to try to copy the two remaining icons I still have in my QLP area into a new folder as backup; and, then, to Close Toolbar such that there is nothing else left on Taskbar except SysTray. If you don't hear from me again you'll know that I expired at the hands of one of Gate's autistic henchmen. Later... Lee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mosaic1:

Things I have done since my last epistle:

1. At your suggestion, I moved the movable divider as far to the right as possible such that the two remaining icons are next to the Tray. Result: No benefit.
2. At Candy's suggestion, I deleted both of the extraneous Netscaape shortcut icons on my Desktop. Result: No benefit.
3. As you suggested, I opened the Quick Launch folder in Explorer by going: C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. Result: No Benefit.
4. As you suggested, I opened a new folder and copied into it the two remaining icons that I still have in my QLP. Benefit: My blood pressure dropped from 185 to 165 (not good, but better than nothing).
5. As you suggested I... Oh, Oh, I guess I now have to start a new Reply...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
5. As you suggested, I did a rt clk on empty space in the QLP area; chose Close; closed everything; nothing left on the Taskbar except the SysTray; did a rt clk on the Taskbar; chose Taskbar; chose QL. Result: Nothing is changed at all!
6. I don't know whether to spit or go blind, but I am still open to suggestions. I guess I can still reboot and use Safe Mode, but I fail to see how that is going to benefit me at all.
Talk to you later... Lee

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Lee,

I am going to repeat this because perhaps your taskbar is corrupted. Let's remove it and allow Windosw to recreate a new one. You will not get your Mail icon back, but the positions should be better. Then just overinstall Netscape as I described and see if that will recreate the shorcut for you. It only takes a minute to reinstall Netscape.

If you need to remove the taskbar an are afraid to go into the registry youself, here's a registry file to accomplish tath task for you. Copy the Bold to Notepad. Save as taskbar.reg
Double click on the file to enter into the registry.
Reboot to rebuild new taskbar.

REGEDIT4

[- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre
ntVersion\Explorer\StuckRects]

When you copy and paste this into Notepad it will look different. It should. Ignore that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
6. Safe Mode: What are you doing to me???

As you suggested, I shut down and re-booted on two separate occasions, and held Control until I saw the black boot menu, EXCEPT, there NEVER was a black boot menu no matter how long I held "Control", let alone see a menu item labeled "Safe Mode"! My machine took me all the way into Desktop, BUT MY MACHINE WAS EFFECTIVELY DEAD!
None of my icons anywhere functioned!! I thought I was going to have to contact you via a different machine that I have until I realized that I could try activating my machine by punching a ball point pen into a little hole on the left hand side of my laptop, so I'm back in business now.

But I don't know what to do now. Whatsayyou??
Lee

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Mr Erlandson,
I am not doing anything to you. I have a question for you. What Operating system are you using? If WInME, I am going to pass this to someone else. If Win98 or Win95, please tell me which. When you post at a help Forum you need to supply as much information as you can about your Operating System and the specs. If you are using Windows95, try rebooting and tapping the F8 button to bring up the Boot Menu.

Having said that. We all get frustrated and impatient when things don't work. But please do not shout at me. Caps are considered shouting on the Internet. I need more information from you, please. Removing the taskbar using the registry file I supplied will remove the taskbar if it is corrupted. Windows will build a new taskbar when you reboot.

I don't know if you want to try that. If not, I do not know what else to tell you to do. You have tried manipulating it physically.

There are two other options. Safe Mode or the registry. And then you will need to try to recreate the shortcut. It may be that your QL toolbar is corrupt and you will need to remake the QL Folder too.

It is very late here, almost Midnight and I have been at this all day. I wish you good night and good luck. I hope you get your problems resolved.

EDIT: Are you sure that is the quick launch toolbar? Have you possibly made a desktop toolbar and that is where the problem lies? Right click on the taskbar, choose toolbars and see which are selected on the list.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.