Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer has slowed significantly in the last week. I have run the defrag, history was cleaned, deleted old printer files, etc. What else can I do? XTRA - I have comcast DSL service, a Cisco wireless router "G", XP, etc.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you haven't got it, try CCleaner. It'll get rid of temp internet files, windows temp files, cookies, and a bunch more. Read up on it before messing with the settings.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Check the Security forums for extra help with virus scans, trojans, adware, popups, and HiJackThis scans. There's some real good reading there. You didn't state what virus program you use or if you did a virus scan. Trojans and other malware are a big concern also. There are numerous freeware programs you can get that will help protect your system. And don't forget a software firewall.

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Howdy,

Some more system specs would help us...like memory installed ....size of Hard drives and how many?

Is it slow on the web or slow actions when not on the web or both?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Open Taskmanger and if there are some running processes that aren't necessary stop them.

Also go into "Services" and stop unnecessary services from running. The "Indexing Service" is known to use a lot of resources. It is recommended to disable this service.

Here's a good guide as to which services are safe to stop:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Start, my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, select tools, error checking click "check now"(chkdsk).

Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily

SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)

Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day

CwShredder
This is one I only use once a week or month lol but good to have

AVG Anti-Spyware
daily

Download and update (update is very important before you scan) boot into safe mode (You do not need to boot into safe mode every time to run programs. Some malware cannot be fully removed or detected unless you are in Safemode, This is why I recommend running it the first time in safe mode then perhaps once a month in safe mode)

With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Scan the computer,

Boot backup into Normal mode, download
CodeStuff Starter manage your startup programs

Disable all startup programs that you "do not" need running at startup.

A guide to hep keep a smooth system.
Maintain your system with Windows XP

Diskeeper
The best program to use for defragging

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kniht said:
Open Taskmanger and if there are some running processes that aren't necessary stop them.

Also go into "Services" and stop unnecessary services from running. The "Indexing Service" is known to use a lot of resources. It is recommended to disable this service.

Here's a good guide as to which services are safe to stop:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
I did open the task manager and the only thing running was the Iexplorer and Comcast webmail which I am in now.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
twm5003 said:
I did open the task manager and the only thing running was the Iexplorer and Comcast webmail which I am in now.
These were the only items displayed in the "Processes" tab of Task Manager?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, the processes list is long and distinguished. explorer / VTTimer / oasclnt / msmsgs / mcvsshld / winlogon / PDVDServ / iexplore / BJMYPRT / ctfmon / mcystfsn / raid_tool / all of these are .exe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.