Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i git this new Nikon coolpix 3200, and it came with a 1G Memory Card" Lexar SD", and it was all perfect, i used to take pics and then put the memory card through the Memory card slot on my laptop.
And then i got some viruses on my computer while the memory card was in, and i detected two viruses on the memory card, through kaspersky and i deleted them, then i decided to be on the safe side, i should format the card through the computer.
And then i put it back in the camera, and the camera says " this card cannot be used"
but the computer reads it fine.
Can anybody help??

·
Banned
8,372 Posts
So............ Have you dumped the picture into the computer and tried formating the card...in the camera of course

have you thought about a new card?
have you thought about fixing the virus trouble with your computer? or do you think it's fixed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the computer isnt the problem, because ive rescanned it and its supposibly fine, but the camera doesnt want to use the card, plus i live in egypt, and memory cards here are realy expensive

·
Banned
8,372 Posts
never format the card through the computer... always in the camera...

have you...or can you... transfer the picture to the computer?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
never format the card through the computer... always in the camera...

have you...or can you... transfer the picture to the computer?
I think if he has formatted the card already, all the pictures will be gone.
You can try this: Reformat the card using the FAT file structure. It is a shot in the dark, possibly won't work, but at this stage no harm in trying.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Reformat the card using the FAT file structure. It is a shot in the dark, possibly won't work, but at this stage no harm in trying.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Try the above.

To add some extra explanation to caraewilton's suggestion, the computer may have formatted the card it using the NTFS file structure used by Windows XP and Vista for hard drives. My PC's won't do that unless specifically requested, but who knows.

A camera cannot read NFTS, but should easily reformat it back to FAT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the format was FAT and not this other thing, plus the camera wont let me navigate when the memory card is in, it just gives this message " this card cannot be Used" and nothing else, u can capture u cant go through the options, nothing, and the guide of the camera said dont format memory card using computer, but unfortunatley i read that after i had already formatted it....anybody git more suggestions???
im devistated coz the cameras been with me for only a week, and i got it from the states but now i am in egypt, and even though there is warranty but its impossible to get it there.
getting a new card here in egypt is rather expensive , i mean the new one back in the states costs 12 dollars here it costs about 400 pounds or maybe more!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
8,372 Posts
sounds to me like you need to crack the piggy bank and buy a new card if in fact you have it formated in FAT and it does not work...

12 dollars US... must be a very small card

·
Registered
722 Posts
Make sure it's not the camera. Go to a camera store and see if they will put one of their cards into your camera to test it. See if your card works in one of their cameras. Maybe they can even format it in one of their cameras.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.