Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, sorry for coming right out and asking for assistance like this but my time is tight

i own a linksys wrt54gs router
and i recently followed an online tutorial to forward my ports, i followed it all step by step perfectly and it worked for a while but now for some reason every so often my connection will just drop(this happens multiple times a day). theres no way to predict it and i dont know what to do about it i cant play any more games online without worring about pinging out or anything related to sudden loss of connection.
but every time it does happen i just simply reset the router and im back online until whenever the time comes for it to fizz out on me again.

sorry about the long story but can anyone help?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, the symptoms you describe could be from a couple of causes.

P2P software frequently causes router hangups after a couple of hours by saturating the connection tables in the router.

Outdated firmware or a configuration glitch can cause this kind of issue as well.

Try this.

1. Download and install the latest firmware for the router (if not already installed).
  2. Reset the router to factory defaults and redo the configuration from scratch.

These measures have fixed many issues for me with a variety of routers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your support johnwill
i wish i could say i know how to reset back to my factory settings though
im at the linksys website looking it up now but it doesnt look very promising, can some one tell me the procedure for reseting back to factory settings

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You didn't tell us the version, so I arbitrarily looked at the manual for version 6.0. On page 1:

"Reset There are two ways to reset the Router’s
factory defaults. Either press and hold the
Reset Button, for approximately five seconds,
or restore the defaults from Administration
> Factory Defaults in the Router’s web-based
utility."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.