Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: im running on windows xp but for the past week or so my computer has been running extremely slow constantly freezing and at least 3 times a day it restarts on its own and i desperately need it to work because its the only computer with a printer and i have alot of things that need to be typed as soon as possible please someone help me out

·
Registered
277 Posts
Run Adware, Spybot, RegSupreme, Registry Defragmentation. Do a Google search for those to get them. Then, scan for viruses, run Windows update.

If your computer is still slow, there's little hope. A reformat might be needed.

·
Registered
49,014 Posts
I'll just repeat the advice as not only will these tools fix you they will protect you in the future

SpywareBlaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
AdAware SE http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
SpyBot S&D 1.3 http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

DL them (they are free), install them, check each for their
definition updates
and then run AdAware and Spybot, fixing anything
they say.

In SpywareBlaster - Always enable all protection after updates
SpyBot - After an update run immunize and make sure teatimer is enabled

Do these and reboot before the next step.

Then get HiJack This http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html, put
it in a permanent folder (C:\HJT) , run it , DO NOT fix anything, post the
log here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i downloaded that stuff and its not really helping me out cuz on the search and destroy thing i keep getting something about a change and its constantly popping up and getting real annoying am i doing something wrong wit those things?

·
Registered
49,014 Posts
That is the Tea Timer function warning you of registry changes. When running AdAware it is normal and you should allow the changes.

That feature is to prevent unwanted changes to the registry, AdAware chages are wanted. This is needed to get you clean!

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you had not been using Spybot and Ad-aware as part of a routine maintenance program on your computer to this point they will probably find many items to be fixed the first time you run them.
After that, run the programs at least once a week.

You can also register and take your computer through PC Pitstop's computer diagnostics.
Their free computer checkup and diagnostics can help you detect and fix many common PC problems!....
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Use...CleanUp!...to free disk space and reduce the "clutter" on your computer.

Also, when was the last time you defragged??

Hope this helps,

Telstar :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wish i could defrag but everytime i try the computer either freezes or restarts lol this is like one of those cheap horror movies where the computer doesnt let me fix it and sorry if im getting annoying asking so many questions but thanks for helping me out so far... is there some way that i could like set it to automaticly choose allow all the time so i dont have to keep clicking?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hi thedoctorguy,

So, you can't even get to Start>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Defragmenter?

At this point I can only reiterate the advice you've already received within this post....
1) Run Spybot and fix everything it finds.
2) Run Ad-aware and fix everything it finds.
(be sure to check for latest updates on each program before scanning)

then,

3) Post in this thread a HijackThis logfile for someone to check.

4) After which, go to the PC Pitstop site and let it do a diagnostic test.
After the test is done, go to the PC Pitstop Express Tech and post
a link to your results in this thread (there are instructions there on how to do this).
This will give a snapshot of your system and may identify something that is causing your problem.

thedoctorguy said:
"im running on windows xp but for the past week or so my computer has been running extremely slow"
Have you tried doing a System Restore to a point before your problem started?

Telstar :)

·
Registered
49,014 Posts
thedoctorguy said:
i wish i could defrag but everytime i try the computer either freezes or restarts lol this is like one of those cheap horror movies where the computer doesnt let me fix it and sorry if im getting annoying asking so many questions but thanks for helping me out so far... is there some way that i could like set it to automaticly choose allow all the time so i dont have to keep clicking?
Though not a normal thing for XP, try it in safe mode as you must have some curdawre that is causing this

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.