Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I try to load word files a little message comes up saying that "it's being used do you wish to open up a read only file" yadda yadda yadda. Whenever we try to save, it says, "Save cannot be saved due to file permission error: Try again?" So I try again and it trys to save it as some temporary file called ~WRL0002.tmp Also when i tried to save a diagnosis program from a cd it kept saying that some temporary file was missing and the load couldn't be done.
I got out our Win98 cd and ran the Repair OS program nothing was fixed, but now our PC is stuck in 640*480 16 colour mode. When we could previously get 600*800 True colour. Wassup?
If anyone could shed some light on this i would be most appreciative.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The first (and easiest) thing to try for the Word problem is to find and delete the file "normal.dot." It's a hidden file so first open My Computer and go to either Tools or View to find "Folder Options." Click on it and go to the View tab. Find and check "Show hidden files and folders," click OK.

Then go to Start>Find>Files and folders, type in "normal.dot" (without the quotes) and delete all found. See if that solves the Word problem. (I have my doubts in this case but it's worth a shot. Word will make a new normal.dot next time you fire it up)

For the display problem, you need to reinstall the video adapter (aka, video card) drivers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.