Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started working at a new job and I was given a five year old computer with Windows 95 on it. The problem is that while the computer will allow me to tpye in web addresses, it will not allow me to type in the text boxes on any websites. I would like to reinstall the software, but the CD-Rom doesn't work. The Computer will not support Windows 98. How can I get the computer to allow me to type in the serch boxes in the browsers?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to TSG wilhelmurg. Have you tried a Repair on Interent Explorer?-this is assuming that you are running IE. To repair: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add\Remove. In the Add\Remove box scroll down and highlight MS Internet Explorer 5\6, click on the Add\Remove button. In the box that pops up choose "Repair Internet Explorer" and click on Ok. Let us know if this helps or not.

Good luck. :) sharon

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Hi,
Sometimes in a small outfit, you have to be your own IT guy.
When in IE,
go to help,
then to about,
and see what version you are using.

It would also help to see what version of 95 you're using,
right click on my computer, click on properties.

If the machine is slower than about 100 Mz then 98 would
run too slowly to put up with. If you post the make and
model, someone will know whats best for it.

You could download newer browsers from the web,
but see what you're using first.

Does the floppy drive work OK ?

Regards,
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your help. Once I was able to find the "repair Internet Explorer" (thanks to Sharon's advice), it said it could not be fixed. I search and found a downloadable version of Internet Explorer 5.5 at www.cnet.com/internet/0-3774-7-272552.html and installed it. Now the computer works like a dream. My only problem now is that I'm trying to figure out how to shirk the screen size so I can see the edges of the browser. Any advice?
-Wilhelm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not that the window is past the edge, it's that the screen size, such as Yahoo, or even techguy, is larger than the window, so I have to move back and forth on the vertical bar to see the whole screen. I can't find a way to make it smaller so it will fit.
-Wilhelm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.