Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Could always try deleting it from C:\Documents and Settings manually.

Try reseting before deleting it and logging into a different account with admin access. Sometimes in the past when trying to delete accounts it seemed like the files were still in use or something till I reset.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
mrbrown38 said:
Could always try deleting it from C:\Documents and Settings manually.

Try reseting before deleting it and logging into a different account with admin access. Sometimes in the past when trying to delete accounts it seemed like the files were still in use or something till I reset.
Would that be something safe to do? :confused:

· Banned
24,754 Posts
Deleting a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\ does nothing to delete an account except to delete a reference to it. It would still appear at the login screen or in User Accounts in Control Panel.

· Registered
322 Posts
Err.. I got myself mixed up.

I'm thinking of accounts on a domain.

If ya delete a domain accounts C:\Documents and Settings\, their "account" will disappear from that machines user list.

-----

So... Try this if you're unable to remove it from the Control Panel while logged in under and admin account.

1) Goto Start > Run, type cmd

2) Type net user to list the accounts on that PC.

3) If the account you want to delete is listed, type net user <account name> /delete

Hope that helps.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
It depends on how many and what type of accounts are on your machine.

XP requires a minimum of 2 Administrator accounts on a machine. One is the Administrator, and the second is "Owner", if you don't specify an account name when you install XP. If you specify an account name during installation, that name becomes an account in the Administrators Group.

If the account you're trying to delete is in the Administrators Group, and there are no other accounts in the Administrators Group (other than the always-present Administrator), XP will not delete the account.

You will have to create another account in the Administrators Group (so that there are at least three) in order to delete the "second" account in the Administrators Group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.