Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: For some reason I cannot access the Canadian government sites. I keep getting the "Cannot find server" message/site. This wasn't a problem in the past. As far as I know, these are the only site I am not able to connect with. All other sites have been okay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Ron, I have been having the exact same problem for approximately two weeks now. I ran multiple Ad-Aware SE, Avast! and Trend Micro scans and deleted infected files but the problem persists. If it is of any help, I use Rogers High-Speed Lite and I am running IE6. Like Ron I can access any website (excluding those without .gc.ca) without any complications. I would appreciate any help that can be offerred as I'm sure Ron would.

Thanks,
Itachi`

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Have you asked your ISP's Tech Support for help? Sites work fine for me (from UK) so I'm wondering if your ISP has had a block of IP addresses banned for some reason.

This quote from the main Govt website makes it clear that they do collect 'naughty' IP addresses and, presumably, take steps to prevent further problems;

"The Canada Site employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. This software receives and records the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer that has contacted our Web site, the date and time of the visit and the pages visited. We make no attempt to link these addresses with the identity of individuals visiting our site unless an attempt to damage the site has been detected."

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Subject to what your ISP may tell you (such as how to obtain a new IP address in case that has something to do with it), you may as well check your Hosts file as per this thread; http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/535731-solved-neither-firefox-ie-will.html

I don't think a whole range of URLs could somehow have got into your Hosts file, but you might as well check, just to eliminate it as a remote possibility.

I might also have suggested that you check for IE7 problems, but I see at least one of you is using 6, but here's the link anyway; http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem here, and I've tried every anti-spyware I could possibly find but no help in solving the problem. I'm using IE7 and my internet provider is Shaw cable. I tried to call the tech support today but the guy told me that he had never heard of the problem and suggested me to run anti virus/spy software. Well, I'm on it all day now but still can't get through any federal government website. So strange!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem I have had too for about 2 weeks. Problem was solved in my case by installing another network card. About the same age as original. Purchased when 100's
first came out. Both are made by same manafacture.
Worked for me anyway. Might be that the newly installed one has a different mac address.

Bye for now!:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My problem was fixed, thanks to a friend who really knows what he was doing...

As I did my homework, I think this was caused by virus on the computer, and government websites usually have very strong firewall protection against hackers, therefore access to the websites from infected computers were denied. Well, I don't know much about computers but this is what I was told. I asked a friend to get rid of the viruses for me, and he used "PC tools" and the problem was fixed. Seems like PC tools got rid of lots of other stuff that "free download" anti-virus and anti-spy ware programs couldn't. So try that, and it should work. Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.