Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to go about explaining my situation, but here it goes. Last night I opened up my case for a moment to make sure it was clean and dust free. Thereafter, when I was connecting it back up to all the wires in the back, I may have made some mistake (I was doing it in the dark since my gf was already sleeping). When I plugged the power cord to the back of the case and turned it on with the power button, I heard what could be described as a lound sound resembling something caught in a fan, or metal scraping against metal. I then quickly pulled the power cord out, disconnected the case, opened it up to make sure nothing got caught in the fan (everything looked fine, no smell of burning, no visible signs of problems).

Upon re-connecting and booting it up, the boot up was slower. It started with the regualar blue Intel Pentium screen, and then when it proceeds to the "Please Select Your Operating System" black screen, it seems to hang for an extra 15 seconds or so. I did diagnostics with "Hot CPU Tester" and everything was fine. All programs run just as before and everything seems fine aside from that delay upon booting up as it transitions from the opening Pentium blue screen to the windows black screen. When it hangs the underscore just flashes for 15 sec or so. Please tell me I did not damage some hardware component, please help me out, as I am extremely nervous. Thanks you very much in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobol said:
Did you check in the Device Manager [start/ right click My Computer/ Properties/Hardware/Device Manager] ? Look for yellow triangles there/red icons...... Then report back
Everything looks fine in the Device Manager, it was the first place I checked.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The black screen could be purely coincidental...The noise you heard was most likely wires getting into the case, videocard or cpu fans.

MS did launch some updates yesterday as well, these could have caused this problem. Make sure all your fans are working, you may have four, one for the CPU, one(often two) case fan(s), a power supply fan and a fan on your video card (if its higher end) If they are all spinning and there is no more grinding then no worries.\

Did you by chanve have a cdrom in the tray and the case tipped sideways? The cdrom could have lost balance and vibrated on startup...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sequal7 you may have just solved my dilema. I did downloaded new MS updates just prior to disconnecting my computer. Moreover, I did tip the case sideways while cleaning with a dvd in the dvd-rom. That's what was probobly making all the noise, since I was careful to tie all my wires away from moving parts (fans). BTW, is there any chance that my DVD-writer could have got damaged in the process? Also is there any way to resore my boot up to my previous setting, (its taking at least 15-20 sec longer now)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.