Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P3 600 with a 10gb hard drive and geforce2 mx400.
My problem is booting into Windows ME, which was formerly Win98 about 6 months ago.
My pc only boots for about 10 seconds until i get an error where the windows ME title screen should come up, saying-
Disk I\O error
Replace disk and press anykey.
I put in my ME boot disk and the startup menu appears. When i select minimal boot, it just gives me an A:\ prompt, after about a minute of continuous hard drive activity. Booting with and without CD-ROM support just gives me a prompt again.
Also, the hard drive sounds very unhealthy from the second it is switched on, repeating the same annoying noise every 3 seconds over and over. Ive tried formatting the c: drive but it gives me an error - File allocation Table bad, drive C.
I also ran Scandisk off the ME CD, and it tells me that there are bad clusters and missing and wrongly placed files and attempts to fix them but there are so many of them. I had scandisk running for at least three hours and it does fix errors but it has to restart each time and then it finds new errors.
One final point is that when the ME CD is startup disk is inserted, it says starting Windows 98 in the top left corner for 2-3 seconds. Could it be that the 2 operating systems are mixed in together, even though i wiped 98 with a full format?
There is something seriosly wrong with my machine!
Someone help! Please!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.