Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is a usual post. I bought the above modem recently and it works fine in Windows. I want to make it work under Fedora 10. I referred couple of sites about this and most of them were instructing configuring wvdial.conf file.
It asks for the phone #, username & password. My ISP didn't provide me with such info, & those info is not even needed in Windows, since it installs the the relevant software as soon as it is plugged to a USB port. Even during the installation it didn't ask me withsuch info, may be it was ran from modem itself.
Do I need to contact my ISP for such info or those info is unnecessary if they have not provided ? If so how can I configure wvdial.conf? Just leave those entries blank?

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi 060456F,

Your ISP provides you with an email account - does it not? That would be your login username and password to read email on the ISP's email server or the user email account for which someone can send you email in the format such as the following: [email protected] or [email protected]

You need to know your email address so others can email you, i.e. that is your account name - not your account number. They should also have a web page available from customer service that lists the dialup telephone numbers, so, find that web site, and then construct the wvdial.conf file in /etc so that you can dialup by just issuing the command: $ wvdial phone# where # is a digit for which phone number # you have configured in wvdial.conf - i.e. a digit from 1-n, n can take on double digit values if you have 10 or more phone1-phone11 numbers configured to call the ISP.

Look at the following thread (my post#4) - it will show you how to configure the wvdial.conf file in /etc/. Plus, make sure that your username is a member of the dialout group, i.e. the set of users that can execute the wvdial command.

-- Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't provide even an email address for me.The phone # to dial, username & password were also not provided. This may be due to the fact that the modem is just plug & play type in Windows. When plugged the modem will be detected & the software necessary to connect to the internet automatically starts the installation process. This is not the case with Linux. When plugged, linux detects the usb dongle as two new device as /dev/ttyUSB0 & /dev/ttyUSB1. No autorun features, like in Windows, are seem to be built-in in the modem, for linux.
I also contac their customer service & they say it works in linux but doesn't even say that those detais are required.
A strange case. Isn't it? Do I really need these info? Otherwise, is there a way to override these info?

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
If your ISP provides dialup accounts, they must provide dial-in phone numbers - scour their web site for the dial-in phone numbers to their servers.

-- Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Finally got it working. It's just like plug & play. But previously I couldn't find this. The network manager did the job. It recognizes the modem & allow me to configure. As lotus said there are some info that ISP should provide. But I didn't need it, since Fedora auto configures it as in Windows but in more quicker way. Because it didn't want the "Mobile Partner" software installation, which is needed in Windows. Great stuff.. Just a click allowed me to connect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.