Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HP 7200i cd-writer on Windows98 SE PC. I use DirectCD v3.01c and Easy CD Creator v4.02c as my cd writing software. I'm using 74 minute, 650mb cd-recordables (Fujifilm). The problem is: All testing passes 100% but when doing the actual recording, just before reaching the end of the process, the cd-r would eject and cause a command error. I know that the command error is the result of the cd-r ejecting from the drive. But why does it eject before it completes the recording phase. No matter what type of recording (data, audio, etc), it never completes the copy process. As a result, the cd-r discs become unusable. Getting a bit costly, if you know what I mean.

If anyone can help me, it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If you are trying to record to much date and not leaving room for the disk information on the cd, it may be the problem. You may also need to slow down the recording speed. I have not seen that problem on my recordings, so that is just some guesses to check out. I could not find anything specific on the problem while searching around.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Having a successful test and then failing at the end of the burn was an indication in older burners that auto insert was a problem. The software is suppose to turn it off during a burn, but it doesn’t always work with legacy burners and software. Go to Device Manager and turn auto insert off. If that doesn’t help, if DMA is on turn it off – another problem with older units. If you turn the DMA off, do it for the CD-ROM as well if you record on the fly.

Be aware that DirectCD won’t work with the auto insert notification off. To use DirectCD you must turn it back on. If you don’t do packet writing uninstall DirectCD – it can cause a lot of burner problems with older versions. If you do use it, go to msconfig/startup and uncheck DirectCd so it doesn’t try to start up while you have the auto insert off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello guys

Thanks for responding. I tried all your suggestions and I still get the same results. I don't want to rule out that it's a bad drive just yet. There are still too many other possibilities other than a bad drive. I thought I read somewhere, that this old type cd-r drive was not supported by Windows98 SE. I can't seem to find the documentation to confirm this.

I'm not giving up just yet. I was told that it was a functional drive but had no additional details on it.

If you find out anything else on this problem, please let me know. Your help is always appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Angel

This cd-r drive is only capable of recording at two speeds. 1x and 2x and I tried both. The PC is a 500Mghertz processor with 128mb RAM.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Update your Adaptec to 4.05 (I think is the latest) and see if HP is still putting out firmware for it. One of them might bring you up to Win98. http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/ecdcupdates.jhtml

Did you try uninstalling DirectCD? It is a separate program and EZCD works fine without it. It was causing problems similar to yours in my old HP 8100.

Try some different software. Nero has a demo you can try and it supports your HP 7100. http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Slipe but still no luck.

I have new information that may shed some light.

At the time that the cd-r disc ejects from the drive, I noticed that the audio cd in the cd reader drive opens the windows' cdplayer.exe and begins to play.

Also, there are two different error messages that are generated before the command error message. The error message states as follows:

T0100: I/O error(03/73/02)- CD error - calibration area is full

When I viewed the error message to understand what this meant, it read as follows:

Before writing a track on a CD, the CD-Recorder must adjust the amount of power applied to the writing laser for the optimum level for the mounted CD. A special area near the center of the recordable CD - called the power calibration area - is reserved for this purpose. If this area becomes full, the CD-recorder can't write to the CD.

What to do: * Use a new blank CD.

I hope that this additional information can trigger an answer or at least a possibility of the cause of this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to continue recieving your suggestions on this problem with the cd-writer. I still need to find out if there are any other suggestions on how to get it functioning. My last post indicates newly found information.

Please read my last posted information and any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Try turning the auto insert off for both the CD-ROM and burner. I guess I didn’t make myself too clear in the first post on that – sorry. If the audio CD is starting up it means auto insert is on for the CD-ROM.

RW will work for EZCD as well as DirectCD. I suggest you use RW while you are sorting things out. Use either a new RW out of the package or do the FULL erase in EZCD in case it was formatted at one time. You can do the quick erase between recordings if you have not formatted it. The RW might not play in your entertainment players due to the low reflectivity, but it should play in the burner to let you know you have sorted things out. Then you can use CDR.

Run the tests on the CD-ROM in EZCD. If it is as old as your burner there is a chance it won’t do digital audio extraction (DAE). If that is the case you can’t record from it. You can use the “copy” with the burner as both source and destination – it will tell you when to trade out the audio CD for a blank recordable. Make sure you have 800Mb of space on the drive or partition that is used for the image.

Start using a RW and stop doing the test burn. There seems to be little correlation between a successful test and a successful burn. Without the test you can have a lot more time to try different things – especially with a 2X burner. And you won’t be put off by a bad test when you might get a good burn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.