Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 300GB Western Digital external hard drive. When I first got it I plugged it in and off I went backing up files. I just formatted my internal hard drive and reinstalled windows to fix a few bugs and now it cannot read any of the files on my external hard drive. I went to disk management and found the drive there and did a NTFS partition for 200GB of it. I have around 20-30GB of data somewhere on there in an unpartitioned sector. What do I do? Can I partition the rest of the 100Gb left and will it then show the files I have on there or will I lose them? Is there a way to just view the unpartitioned sector of files? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
317 Posts
you need to describe what you did when you first got the drive and
backed up files to it (did you copy or move files?)

what operating system were you using then and now.

how did you recently partitioned part of the external drive to NTFS.

you may have not placed files on the external drive or you
may have already lost them. so details are needed to
try to understand what you did.

a drive has to have atleast a single partition and have
that partition formatted in order to use it. if it has
multiple partitions then each partiton needs to be formated
before it can be used. it is possible to make a single
partition drive into more than one partition and format
the new partition and not loose data on the old partition.
it all depends on how you did all that, so you need to
explain in detail what you did, also your use of terms
isn't all correct so details would help us understand.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
if you created a partition, you removed whatever data was on it but the data is still accessible until overwritten.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, let me see if I can try to explain. When I first got the drive I just plugged it in and was using Windows XP on my internal hard drive. I am trying to use the right terms, but I cut and pasted and copy and pasted files from my internal to the external. They were accessible and fine and all then. Then after that I switched to Vista to give it a try, so i reformatted and installed Vista on my internal. The drive showed up fine then, too. You know what that's probably the problem. I also moved files over with Vista, too. I also noticed sometimes I had files that were too big to be moved to the external, because of the file system it was under, and I'm not sure what it was using. Then I reformatted my internal to put XP back on because I didn't like Vista since it could not run a great amount of programs that I was able to on XP. Also, I am running a demo program I found off of google that recovers data and it is finding certain files (pictures mainly) that I had backed up on the external and so they are still there. I supposed it was partitioned or formatted since it let me put the files on there in the first place, but I had never done that to it. It is weird how one minute I can see and access all the files then the next minute the drive did not even show up under my computer, but only under disk management. And when I found it at disk management it said it had 298GB of unallocated space, the entire space basically. I hope this helps, and I thoroughly appreciate your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.