Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a PC 2nd hand and setting it up for my friend's parents. I have deleted the user id (including profile etc) for the previous owner (Lee) but every time I go to install a new piece of software it puts Lee as the default username/owner thereof.

How do I remove this or change it to the new owner's name?
TFYH

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My guess his name is in the Windows Registry.

I recommend you make a System Restore point and then edit the Registry and search and replace it using Regedit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. Had considered a regedit but the trouble is that Lee is such a short string it appears in quite a few places legitimately - not least in references to Googleearth! Unless I knew specifically where to edit I wouldn't be happy trying a global replace.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Open a command Window and type the following commands (substitute your name and company). And then restart Windows:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v RegisteredOwner /t REG_SZ /d "your name" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v RegisteredOrganization /t REG_SZ /d "your company" /f

If you don't want to use anything for company, just put a space between the quotes.

Edit: This replaces the name and company that were entered when the OS was installed. Some third part software may duplicate these keys multiple places in the registry. You can search RegisteredOwner in Regedit to find the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.