Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
For you Unix weenies (like me) how do you 'kill -9' a process on Windows XP Home edition?

For everyone else (and especially Mr. Gates): How do you kill a process through Task Manager that is owned by SYSTEM?

It is a BitDefender (virus scan) process (vsserv.exe) and I occasionally want to kill it just to get some work done on my machine!

Task Manager says permisson denied when I try to kill it but I am an administrator on the machine.

I tried creating a user account called SYSTEM and one called Administrator (to try and kill it by tricking Bill...oops sorry Mr. G) but in both cases Windows wouldn't create the account because it said an account already exists with that name. Well there are three user accounts created and they ain't Administrator or SYSTEM!

If someone can help me I might eventually stop comparing Windows to Unix! ;-)

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that was fast!

Thanks.

I see several BitDefender processes (4) and 2 are automatic and started. One of those is the virus scan and I suspect it's the one.

When I select it and go to Action->properties it says VSSERV as the Service name. I can change the startup type - but is there a way for me to kill it? Or, how do I disable it?

Thanks again.

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PedroGuy,

Something's still wrong. The Start, Stop, Pause and Resume buttons are grayed out so I can't stop the process.

When I try to change the 'Startup type' from Automatic to Manual and hit 'Apply' it gives me an 'Access Denied' dialog box.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again,
Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unlocker didn't work either. It's looking for files to manipulate not processes. There's no way (apparently) to make it cognizent of the vsserv.exe process.

Still looking for 'kill -9'; real simple in Unix. I still hate Windows...

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Hey Mat:When you try to change the service,are you logged in as administrator?
This is a long shot,but let's look at started tasks

Start/run
type in
msconfig

and look at startup.
If you see bit defender or associated tasks that you recognize,you could uncheck them and they would not startup at boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pedroguy,
Thanks for the response.
Yep, I'm logged in as administrator.
Yep, BitDefender is listed in the msconfig startup - as are a bunch of other things.
Maybe some careful pruning is in order.
Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TOGG,
Thanks for the reply.
Autoruns is not useful.

The problem still remains.
A simple problem where the process gives 'Access Denied' when attempting to kill it or even modify it. The Web shows that I'm not the only person (by any means) to have had this problem.

All of the utilities mentioned in this thread (plus others) have not been ably to get around this problem: taskkill, processexplorer, services.msc, unlocker, msconfig, autoruns.

I think the absence of a simple, straightforward response with a utility or command that will kill a process when you otherwise get 'Access Denied' is telling. It tells me that in Windows (unlike Unix), there simply is no such beast.

Is there a way to go ahead and mark this thread not as resolved but "You can't do this simple thing in Windows, you should have stuck with Unix or Linux"

·
Gone but never forgotten
4,435 Posts
I beleive that's deliberate to avoid malware killing the process. Avira's services are the same. I have to boot in safe mode to disable them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.