Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have FC-6 and use KDE.

When I had FC-5 you could go to "http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/187/" and download a module based on the kernel you were using, allowing you to read "ntfs".

I was told that FC-6 had that ability natively. But my FC-6 doesn't recognize "ntfs". Is there a site I can go to, to get a module allowing this? Or do I need to do something to enable native ability to read "ntfs"?

Thanks,

royeo

· Registered
21,398 Posts
mattice06082 said:
I'm no expert, but isn't samba used for this?
Hi mattice06082,

Samba is a 3rd party piece of software, whereas, the topic refers to a Linux kernel capability/module internal to Linux to read NTFS file systems and mount them providing access to a Windows disk/partition.

The FC6 release apparently has this kernel module ready to be integrated into it by installing it from Fedora Extras.

-- Tom

· Registered
3,923 Posts
Don't think it is Fedora's policy to support read/write ntfs partitions out of the box.

To install ntfs-3g as root
Code:
yum -y install ntfs-3g
To mount it say the ntfs partition is in /dev/sda2
Code:
mkdir /mnt/Windows
ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows
Worked OK for my FC6 and FC5. Haven't tested it extensively but seems to write alright to me. ntfs-3g seems to be the most reliable tool at the moment.

Can be regarded as an overkill if you are interested in only reading and not writing the ntfs partitions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.