Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've got a new HDD, and I've got it in as a secondary at the moment. I'm tranfering music and important data and such. I was wondering though about how to transfer registry files that I need. I have a couple programs that I do not have the CD's nor registration codes anymore, so I was figuring on copying the folder to the new HD... Only problem is I have no idea which registry files I need to move.

The programs are:
Wacraft 3/Warcraft 3 the frozen throne
World of Warcraft

Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
46,575 Posts
What you are trying to do will most likely not work. Not only do you need the registry entries, you need whatever .dll files that were installed to the winnt and or winnt\system32 folder.
While it may be possible to transfer an app and have it run, it is a lot of work and most likely will fail anyway.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
damican said:
Ok, so I've got a new HDD, and I've got it in as a secondary at the moment. I'm tranfering music and important data and such. I was wondering though about how to transfer registry files that I need. I have a couple programs that I do not have the CD's nor registration codes anymore, so I was figuring on copying the folder to the new HD... Only problem is I have no idea which registry files I need to move.

The programs are:
Wacraft 3/Warcraft 3 the frozen throne
World of Warcraft

Any help is appreciated
if the old hdd still operates, clone it to the new one using Acronis True image, free, full function trial version

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
pehbond said:
computer registry are on 2 files and they are user.dat and system.dat i think
Actually, now the registry is in a number of files. See this Registry Hive description. You're still stuck in the 98/ME era. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.