Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a dell laptop with XP on it. I want to install some type of a Linux OS. I have fooled around with Mint & a few other Linux systems before, My question is how do I run a Linux OS from a flash drive. I got my laptop set up to boot from the usb port first.

Any help ?

What Linux OS should I download to my XP desktop & what program works good to make a ISO Linux OS.

Long story short: How to create a bootable USB drive

Thanks for any info.

dr911

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are the specs of the desktop? That info will help narrow down your choices, particularly if it's lower spec ... but there are still good choices.
Richard,

Thanks, I should have include that info, Here's the specs on my LAPTOP.

Dell Latitude D510

Pentium M
1.73 GHz
1 GB ram

I've tried Linux Puppy, not much in the OS though. Just want to make a bootable USB stick.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,195 Posts
Do you have specific tasks you want to do in Linux or do you simply want to try Linux out ?

EDIT : some versions can run in Ram and that's fast but if you want to keep changes for the next session the version needs to be 'persistant' and save the changes to the Usb stick when you finish. Puppy Linux does both and is a good choice if you're not familiar with Linux yet. You can install new programs as needed or use a version of Puppy that has more software included from the start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.