Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer monitor is kinda like a laptop screen and has all these little dirty spots that i want to get off. The problem is i don't want to ruin my screen, who does? If anyone has any idea how to clean a laptop screen, please let me know. Thanx

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I use 25% alcohol and water, works just fine. Whatever cleaner you use, use it SPARINGLY, do NOT let any run behind the bezel! Use only a soft cloth, NEVER use paper products to clean LCD screens, they'll scratch the plastic front plate.

·
Registered
27,868 Posts
Agree with above comments but note that one of the features of klearscreen is that it sprays on an absolutely ultra-fine mist that doesn't form droplets so there is no running liquid. I have used it for several years now on TV, Laptop and LCD screens. I purchase it at a local computer store and a little goes a very long way.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Slightly dampen the corner of a lint-free cloth (you can get about a billion cloths from Wal-Mart for next to nothing). Use the damp corner to scrub the screen; use the dry part to wipe it off.

Nothing additional to buy (except the lint-free cloths). Lasts forever. Guarenteed to work on all screens including flat-panel, CRTs, plasma, and eyeglasses.

Courtney

·
Registered
448 Posts
Two parts white vinegar + one part water

On newer laptop LCD screens with the sharp-looking glossy finish, isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) can burn off the gloss and make your screen look bland.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Two parts white vinegar + one part water

On newer laptop LCD screens with the sharp-looking glossy finish, isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) can burn off the gloss and make your screen look bland.
Sure, but then the screen stinks! :D

You don't use pure alcohol, you use a 25% or so mix with mostly water.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I sure wouldn't use those on my screen! :eek: There are oils in the compound they use that's bound to stick to the screen and cause streaking at the very least.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Warm Water on a soft micro-fiber cloth works great...Just damped it...or mist it. For the touch stains I recommend a mixture of rubbing alcohol and warm water. 50/50 solution works best in my opinion. The "LCD cleaning" products out there always seem to leave a film of some sort on the screen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Whatever cleaner you use, make sure that your monitor/laptop is turned OFF.

The heat from the screen causes the "cleaner" to heat up and evaporat and leave streaks.

I never touch my screen and made a cloth cover to put over it when I leave the office so the cleaning crew doesn't touch it. basically a pillow case that I took a sewing machine to make it fit my monitor.

I work on a black screen for CAd work, so anything on the screen is visible. Should anything get on the screen, i just dab some water from my poland spring bottle and a soft cloth. Rub it until the spot clears and then buff it with a dry spot of cloth. the cool surface of the screen allows the liquid to naturally dissipate. I tried all kinds of cleaners and they all work. i was just never told to make sure the screen is cool/OFF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.