Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to restore my registry to an earlier date than the five that show up when I go to C:prompt and get scanreg/retore because none of the five predate my problem. How do I do that?

I have replaced the five in MaxBackupCopies with fifteen, but I don't know how to get an earlier one in a position where I can restore it. I still can see only the five in Windows>scanregw.exe and in scanreg/restore.

NOTE: I JUST OPENED A THREAD WITH A LONG WINDED POST IN WINDOW ABOUT MY INABILITY TO CONNECT VIA MSN. IN IT, I GIVE PART OF MY LIFE HISTORY AND ALSO ASK ABOUT THE SAME QUESTION I ASK HERE. BUT I'M AFRAID IT IS TO WORDY THAT IT MAY GET IGNORED. I WROTE TO HELPONTHE.NET TO SEE IF I COULD POST THIS THREAD BUT RECEIVED A REPLY THAT SUCH LETTERS CAN'T BE ANSWERED BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF THEM AND TO JUST GO AHEAD AND POST.

Thanks, grandpaw

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, that title should be with "unshown date" rather than "unshoown name".

BTW, I don't understand the constant references I see to the "oldest five". It looks to me like the five listed are the most recent five, that is, the youngest. ???

grandpaw

·
Registered
46,025 Posts
Grandpaw, when did you make the change in MaxBackupCopies to 15 ?

If you just did it, then Windows has not had time to create additional backups, you will still only have the 5 most recent.

The problem with having Max.... more than 5 is not that it won't display the oldest or earliest backups in that window, but that it won't display the most recent.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/8/41.ASP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.