Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer specs are below. I was curious as to how much RAM my system can run. I am currently running 1 Gig of RAM. would it be possible to run 1 or even 2 more gigs of RAM? I hear sometimes if your system cannot handle the RAM, it decreases in performance rather than improving performance. Thank you!

Win Xp pro SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1.19 GHz

K7N2 Delta (NVIDIA nForce 2 chipset based) 128 bit Memory bus

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
3Gb mate. Took me 30 seconds to copy the board # to Google and get the MSI site HERE and click the first link.

Sorry, I don't mean to be obnoxious, and I am not having a go at you.....but too many people don't bother looking on the net before coming here and asking.....:D

Scorp.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
fox7399 said:
My computer specs are below. I was curious as to how much RAM my system can run. I am currently running 1 Gig of RAM. would it be possible to run 1 or even 2 more gigs of RAM? I hear sometimes if your system cannot handle the RAM, it decreases in performance rather than improving performance. Thank you!

Win Xp pro SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1.19 GHz

K7N2 Delta (NVIDIA nForce 2 chipset based) 128 bit Memory bus
your xp 2600 should be running @ 1.92 ghz too!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
But... how many sticks of RAM do you have on it now?

Its tricky to actually fill in that 3rd slot. So if you have a single stick of 1GB, then add another. I don't think its worth throwing out 2 sticks if you already have them.

But are you ACTUALLY running out of RAM? Press CTRL ALT DEL, click performance when youre at doing a lot of work, etc.

I'm doing basic stuff at the moment with 9 browser windows & word, I have 2GB - 1.6free.

If youre on full load and its not constant, but you have over 100mb free - don't worry about it until your next upgrade.

Check your system BUS speed... you're running very slow... I think you're at 266mhz rather than 333mhz or you have your multiplier set low.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
fox7399 said:
Ya im sorry i dont like spam either. I wouldnt know of known where to start with the board number and then on... Sorrry
Nope, don't apologize...if you didn't know where to start, you didn't know....and THAT'S why we are here :D ...and in which case, I am glad to help you.

So, type on with any other questions you have sir!

Scorp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replay says, "your xp 2600 should be running @ 1.92 ghz too!"
How do i change that?

How do I change my BUS speed and how do i change the multiplier?

This is with 1 small game running in window mode, 2 browsers open, MSN messenger

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
And you may need your motherboard manual and go to the BIOS section to look up CPU settings.

You would press DEL key a few times the second your screen comes on (tell you your ram, drives etc) And looks like this:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_ja&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=BIOS+award

(or google / IMAGES "bios award")

use the software REPLAY provided the LINK for so you know what Mhz & Multpiliers you need.

For example, some boards which MAY include yours - has a jumper for 266mhz then HIGHER... so it may require you to take off your cover. So get your manual out or download it from MSI (I think that is your brand).

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
And your have almost 700mb free of RAM, not bad. Your systems looks not eating a lot of memory. If you throw in a semi-large game like UT2004, you'd be down to 300mb.

So, I'd say leave your memory alone. Spend money on something else or save it for an upgrade in a year or two.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
compiler............. i remember a poster by the name of compilerxp(spaceship avatar)........ i think he was from dallas or texas, this was a few years ago
i always remember reading his posts (he was pretty computer savy)

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That is me. My ComplierXP account had lapsed... and before THAT, I was "Complier", but it had lapsed and had to create a new account. I think if all my posts from 3 accounts added up would be aroun 3000.

I'm still in Dallas.

I'm still the same: Get the best that you can, don't spend more than you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.