Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My name is Rob Hubert and I’m from Haarlem, the Netherlands.
I have bought (second hands) a Dell Optiflex GX270 and I want to install XP on it. The problem is that there is no CD-ROM or diskette station where I can install it to the HD. I want to put my 80 GB HD in this pc, but I want to format it. When I now connect to de Dell its stay’s in a kind of loop (always returning to options like safe mode etc.) Have anyone a solution for me??

I hope there is someone who can help me.
My apology for my English, but I hope it’s understandable.
Rob

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Hi Rob and welcome to TSG. Do you have an existing hard drive in the computer other then the 80 GB drive? Can you boot the computer? If you can, boot the system and right click My Computer and select “Manage” When computer management comes up select “Disk Management” How many partitions do you have? It will look like this image. If you have a restore partition you’ll have partitions as FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick reaction. I only have a Pentium II, 400 Mhz. and 832 Mb Ram. With a 3,5 disk drive, CD-ROM and HD. I really don’t know how I must do what you has writing to me, sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your welcome. So as I have written in a message before I didn’t have much into my Pentium II. I can put the 40 GB into the Pentium as a second drive but can you than tell me what to do?

Sorry that I do not know so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you mention the Dell, I can tell you that there is only a 40 GB HD but with no program’s on it. I have put my 80 GB HD into it and then I’m in a kind of loop where I can choose for safety mode or last correct mode etc., but what I choose he is always starting up again. The only thing what I know about the Dell is that it was from a company.

So, there for my question if I must put the 40 GB in to my computer where I work on and then follow your suggestions.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Another question Rob. When you boot the computer Do you see the blue bar at the top of the screen when the computer starts? If you do see one try quickly pressing and holding the Ctrl key at the bottom left of the keyboard and the hitting the F11 key at the top of the keyboard. You only have a few seconds to do this as the as the blue bar only lasts that long. This should bring you to the DELL recovery partition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can choose for F2=setup and F12= boot menu

By every number I go to the Safe mode or normal mode menu and then it’s starting again. Only by 5 I get this:
When I use number 5: IDE Drive Diagnostics I get:

IDE Hard Drive Diagnostics running:
Primary SATA: Drive 0: No device

Secondary SATA: Drive 0: No device

Primary IDE Drive 0: WDC WD400EB-75CPF0 – Fail. Return Code: 7
Drive 1: No device

Secondary IDE: Drive 0: No device
Drive 1: No device

Test complete press enter to reboot

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Code 7 Means that the hard drive is either dead or dying. Pull the 40GB and install the 80GB that you have. Make sure the jumpers are set to master. If the drive is a Western Digital hard drive and there is nothing ells connected to the IDE ribbon, remove the jumper and install the drive. You say that the computer has no CD\ROM, so pull the CD\ROM from the Pentium II system and use it in the other system to install XP on the 80GB drive.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Thank you for your reaction. I will do that. One question, what do you mean with "...remove the jumper and install the drive"?
On the back of every hard drive, there is a jumper. This jumper tells the drive what it is, whether it’s a master or a slave. After you set the drive as to what it is using the jumper you install the drive into the computer. Also remember to use the connecter on the end of the IDE ribbon, this is the master, and the connecter in the middle of the IDE ribbon is the slave.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.