Tech Support Guy banner

I am wondering if there are any happy XP users out there. Please vote yes or no.

• Yes! It's worth it.

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • No! It's not worth it.

Votes: 9 23.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if there are any happy XP users out there.

·
A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
17,197 Posts
If stability is important to you, and you don't have it now, I believe this is the way to go.

·
17,197 Posts
I posted this in the Review Forum a couple of days ago, to elaborate:

I voted for stability, and that is what I got. At least so far. Just Upgraded to WinXP HE on Wednesday. No crashes, freezes, bsd's, or fatal errorrs.

So far, as an OS it seems friendly, and helpful to me. Although there were initially a few problems, they were easily resolved. I used the online help feature (chat W/MS) and enjoyed it.

Updating is smooth, rapid, and essentially effortless if you allow for automatic update.

Although I had a few things that might not have played well with the upgrade, either they did, or the system downloaded what I required to make things work. I find this both software friendly, and useful, in that it allows for an essentially smooth flow of use. That certainly has NOT been the case with previous upgrades.

There are other features I like as well, and a few I'm not sure about. But basically, I feel I made a GOOD buying decision here.

Would I do it again..............Yes

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow... well that is all good to know. I upgraded to me and that was the WORST buying decision ever... (well, I don't know... anyway) I really don't like me. 98se is much better than me. I have heard from a few other xp users and they all say the same, although one said it was really hard to install, but they all said it is much faster and more stable than any other version. As soon as my $100 rebate from my HD comes in the mail from Best Buy I am going to get xp. It sounds great. Thanks for the input... I'm glad you guys like it. (...as many people just became frustrated with microsoft after they ripped their hair out over Me)

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
Deuce -- you're quite right about Me. Probably one of Microsoft's worst OS mistakes. It just plain sucked.

I've only upgraded one of my systems to XP so far, but I'm very pleased and intend to upgrade the others... as soon as I can afford it.

The only comment I really have is that XP Home is kind of a snag because of all of the limited features (network ability, etc)... I don't think it's worth $100 more to have that ability, but I'm paying it anyway. :)

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I am still mad about spending the money on Me. I was putting together a new system at the end of august (so it was the full version) and I could have just waited the month or so for XP. Me is just not worth the nearly $200 that it was, I wish some one could have warned me before, but I guess if not many other people had it and it is now quite some time after it came out, that should have been a clue. What gets me more mad though is that afterwards I realized I could have gotten the OS from the guy I bought the motherboard and processor from and gotten a better deal on everything. Oh well, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference in dollars. I am just blown away that MicroSoft rebounded with such an incredible OS. Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm saving up all my pennies now.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow... so many happy people. :D I wonder who it was that voted no?

·
17,197 Posts
I'm sure some unhappy folks will be along shortly. I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss the party.

There are some serious security, and privacy issues with this OS. Here's a link to some initial negative observations. Also you may wish to look at Item #4 in this newszine. Since he has such a large subscription list, there should be plenty of discussion here over the next couple of months:

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2001/2001-11-08.htm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Regarless of whatever anyone says, XP is tha ****. My gaming has improved like never before, starup is faster. the only draw back is compatibility with your really necessary old hardware, but it's worth going out to buy some new ****.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear God, I can't stand XP. It really worries me how many people like it.

First off, as a personal opinion, I think it's default look is incredibly ugly, but that is not my main concern...

Check this link to Gibson Research Corporation's page about XP: http://grc.com/dos/sockettome.htm. The issues brought up here are very serious. In summary, Windows XP Home Edition contains support for what's called "raw sockets", which basically allows data to be sent directly to the file system, bypassing the standards of protocols (which data normally must follow). This has various uses, and has been implemented in *NIX systems for some time. However, it has always be restricted use, only allowing the system to access this feature, as no user should ever need to. However, XP allows ALL USERS access to raw sockets. This is extremely dangerous, as it could allow data to be sent to the machine unchecked. That data could contain malicious code, and the system would simply let it in.

Luckily, Steve Gibson has developed an application to solve this problem, but most people will never know about it. This could easily lead to a new wave of malicious intent on the Internet. "Hackers" will have a brand new toy to play with.

As third concern, I feel XP makes it easier for people to be computer illiterate. I have had this same problem with AOL for quite some time. It has become so user friendly and cute that people will never know what to do when things like blue screens or access errors occur. I don't expect everyone to be computer technicians by any means, but I do more support work for people using AOL and Windows ME then anything else. It's usage is so basic and elementary, that when something out of the ordinary happens, people are completely stumped.

So, overall, I am not too fond of XP. This is all really directed at XP HE, as I have yet to test Pro or otherwise, but I can't say I'm too hopeful.

·
17,197 Posts
I understand your concerns about the user friendliness issue, it's analagous to what happened with cars. There used to be a lot more weekend mechanics than there are now. Now it''s almost impossible to do anything but rudimentary repairs and maintenance on our vehicles(the downside). The upside is that they are in general much safer, and last one heck of a lot longer without requiring maintenance. Which is the better system, they both have their merits?

As to security, I'm confident that these issues will all be resolved with time. Since this is the most popular OS System by far, it will get lots of scrutiny, and lots of fixes. It's always easy to be critical of Windows, but frankly, I don't see anyone presenting a better platform that resolves these concerns.

My two cents worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im running win xp pro with mixed feelings
on one hand this o.s. resolved alot of conflicts i was having
with my system:)
on the other hand the support for hardware is very limited,
like the SW freestyle pro, others there's upgrades for
a price !
kinda feel like I'm paying twice for something I already
bought.

imho

·
Registered
153 Posts
hmmm......the only bad part on mine is that it takes a long time to boot.....i did an upgrade from ME (i want to clean now....) and it takes line 2 min to boot...........like my 200mhz MMX........

·
17,197 Posts
I did the same upgrade, and have the fastest boot time I've ever experienced. Have you installed all the updates? Have you considered going to help and support and checking the forum about this?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As to the argument about the presentation, I must agree... I have seen some screen shots of peoples' desktops (a thread from Random Discussions) and it is a little odd with a hint of cheesyness, but I also agree it is of no concern and is something I will adjust to in about 5 minutes if I don't bother changing it. To everyones' recent additions, you guys have brought up some interesting points.. some of which seem like they need more attention then they seem to be getting, but it could be like the car mechanic thing, it might not be so bad to the average user, as some people might not be able to find their way in to accidentally writing malicious code, ect. But nonetheless, these things seem quite serious. That is what is so great about it being so popular, it will have lots of market research (from consumers) to add to everything and it will help identify problems sooner and get more fixes out sooner as well.

As to Steve Gibson's fix MicroSoft should look into those things and adopt them to the win update thingy, as then that fix could be automatically updated into people's Xp, and then you don't have the problem of people not ever seeing it and not wanting to bother downloading it.

I was planning to get Xp Pro, so I wonder how that one is in the problems and complaints department...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had some problems with it, but you have problems with every version of windows. so all in all its cool

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.