Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have no idea what you're doing that's different, but it sounds like something on your machine. As you can see, lots of people here can run from www.speedtest.net with no issues, and you don't have to pay anything.

I just gave it a try here:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

Both a little less than advertised. But I don't think 5PM is best time to test.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
JohnWill,

What web browser are you using ? Me IE 6.0. I also updated flash to 10.
I use Firefox 3.5.2 or IE8, I'm running Windows 7 here. This has worked for me for several years from the XP and IE7 days as well, I've never seen anything like you're describing come up at that site.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I don't need to test, I get 2.3mbytes/sec downloads from Microsoft whenever I fetch DVD images from MSDN, so I'm guessing that if the source site is fast enough, that's when I'll get.

The reason for my question was that Comcast has their "boost" feature, but it only lasts for a short time before they drop back to their normal speed.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I don't need to test, I get 2.3mbytes/sec downloads from Microsoft whenever I fetch DVD images from MSDN, so I'm guessing that if the source site is fast enough, that's when I'll get.

The reason for my question was that Comcast has their "boost" feature, but it only lasts for a short time before they drop back to their normal speed.
I used to have 10Mb/s, cut it down to next level @ 3Mb/s(ISP just recently boosted same plan to 7Mb/s) as I didn't really need 10. But when I had the 10, I would get averages in the very high 900 KB/s for a 4+ GB download.

I don't need to get these files fast as I don't even use them. It is my donation to the Linux community.:up:

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, with my 20mbit connection, the normal speed of most downloads from fast sites is around 2.3mbytes/sec. Given protocol overhead, that's pretty close to the full bandwidth of a 20mbit connection.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use Firefox 3.5.2 or IE8, I'm running Windows 7 here. This has worked for me for several years from the XP and IE7 days as well, I've never seen anything like you're describing come up at that site.
JohnWill & Others,

Just received a e-mail from speediest.

"We appear to be having an issue with certain versions of IE6 and our
website. Per previous reports upgrading your browser should resolve the
problem. If that is not an option or doesn't resolve the problem please.
let me know.

Kind Regards,
Hanna @ Speedtest.net"

Guess I'm going to have to get FF ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.