Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just set up internet connection sharing between 2 laptops. The host is downloading non-stop all day, all night. The client is used some of the time for browsing the net and emails.

What I'm asking is how does ICS affect my connection. I have 512 kbps dsl (runs at about 576 nearly all the time though :p ) and does ICS split it in half or what?

I woul prefer that the host has 100% of the bandwith when the other computer is connected, but not being used. When the other computer is being used then can I set how much bandwith it will get?

Also how secure is gotomypc? i want to connect to the host laptop when im at home to start new downloads etc.

Thanks,
Matt

· Registered
275 Posts
Well in terms of getting split in half i would say only if the other computer was downloading just as much ....just becuase u have another pc on your dsl does not cut it in half only matters how much that is used on the net. Go to my PC i have found pretty secure but i have not had people test it exactly...i think it runs threw port 80 so you dont have leave another port open. I would actually like to hear someones input on gotomypc as i am still intrested about it too.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I think you can be as happy with a free solution, no real reason to pay the folks at GotomyPC $10/mo. :) You can use something like UltraVNC for remote control, or XP's remote console capability. As for dynamic IP addresses, a service like www.dyndns.com will allow you to always find your IP at home.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
scutch2222 said:
... Go to my PC i have found pretty secure but i have not had people test it exactly...i think it runs threw port 80 so you dont have leave another port open. I would actually like to hear someones input on gotomypc as i am still intrested about it too.
I tried the free trial on gotomypc and it was fine.
But I find UltraVNC is fine for my needs -- and as it's free it won! I tunnel VNC through SSH so I'm happy that it's secure (certainly better than running VNC in the open). All using the http://www.dyndns.org/ service.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

before i read this I have installed WinVNC so thaT'S OK.
What I have noticed now is that speeds on the second computer are incredibly slow. In fact it will take ages for anything to load. It was running ok this morning with a full download going on the host pc.

I stopped all downloads and things on the first pc it was still as slow.

Any ideas?

thanksm
matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.