Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to permanently remove the packaged games that come with XP, such as solitaire and Internet Backgammon? I know I can remove them from Control Panel, but I can use the same method to re-install them. I want them gone so no one can re-install them without an install disk.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
rt click delete and they're gone to the recycle bin, then empty the bin.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The games like freecell can't be deleted because they are system files, protected by Windows File Protection.
After you remove them through Add-Remove Programs, if you open the 'sysoc.inf' file in Windows\Inf folder, on the line that starts with Games, add the word HIDE between the 2 commas. ex:Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
Then delete the copies that are in the System32\dllcache folder: freecell.exe, sol.exe, spider.exe, winmine.exe, and mshearts.exe

Now Games won't show up in add-remove. Not perfect, but may slow some down.
I can use the same method to re-install them
It should ask for the Windows CD, unless you have a i386 folder on your drive. If the i386 folder exists, they can easily use the command prompt to expand the game files, also.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
The games like freecell can't be deleted because they are system files, protected by Windows File Protection.
After you remove them through Add-Remove Programs, if you open the 'sysoc.inf' file in Windows\Inf folder, on the line that starts with Games, add the word HIDE between the 2 commas. ex:Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
Then delete the copies that are in the System32\dllcache folder: freecell.exe, sol.exe, spider.exe, winmine.exe, and mshearts.exe

Now Games won't show up in add-remove. Not perfect, but may slow some down.

It should ask for the Windows CD, unless you have a i386 folder on your drive. If the i386 folder exists, they can easily use the command prompt to expand the game files, also.
excuse me but i used "search" for freecell, rt click deleted it then restored it from the recycle bin.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moper is correct. You can delete the exe, but as soon as you reboot, Windows restores it. I want this gone permanently. I know it is possible; businesses do it all the time to keep employees from goofing off, or rather if they do goof off, it isn't on solitaire.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Once you remove them from add-remove and then manually delete the copies from the dllcache folder, they won't be reinstalled unless you insert the Windows CD OR there is a i386 folder present.

moper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.