Tech Support Guy banner

How do I seperate voice typing from a keyboard

541 Views 25 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Abie2
I have tge Nokia G300 phone and its my first mobile phone. I can handle somewhat windows, but these phones are another matter that i am not used too.I get constantly harassed by apps begging to be installed as i am trying to make a phone call or log in a site. Then there are launchers fighting to be my default one...it goes on and on. For a while whenever i had to log in a site, the typical keyboard appears, enter the password and etc., but lately the voice type took control. Ever try to enter a password via voice that contains small letters, capital letters and gizmo's. Little research told me to go to settings\language and all i see there is the on/off button not to use profanity. Can someone tell me how i can get my keyboard back, unless u can tell me how to enter such a password as i mentioned above, via Voice type? I do want them both to co-exist...if possible.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
I get constantly harassed by apps begging to be installed as i am trying to make a phone call
Explain. I'm on my 2nd android phone and have never been harassed to install apps.
I have ESET free installed. Perhaps this helped me. I used to use the paid version but with 2 android tablets and 2 phones, I've discovered that as long as I update the database and scan from time to time, I'm protected.
Explain. I'm on my 2nd android phone and have never been harassed to install apps.
I have ESET free installed. Perhaps this helped me. I used to use the paid version but with 2 android tablets and 2 phones, I've discovered that as long as I update the database and scan from time to time, I'm protected.
Well I went to settings/apps and Force stop the launcher and it still shows up. Everytime i turn on the phone i see a "1" next to my message icon. When i click on that, that launcher appears asking me for the upteenth time to let me make them my default launcher. I did at the beginning, but it still appears with that message icon, and lately the "Force stop". Maybe uninstaling it might do the trick. Have you a Launcher? I will try the link for that app you mentioned.....thank you.
Well I went to settings/apps and Force stop the launcher and it still shows up. Everytime i turn on the phone i see a "1" next to my message icon. When i click on that, that launcher appears asking me for the upteenth time to let me make them my default launcher. I did at the beginning, but it still appears with that message icon, and lately the "Force stop". Maybe uninstaling it might do the trick. Have you a Launcher? I will try the link for that app you mentioned.....thank you.
That link showed quite a few Eset apps...i chose one at random, the security and antivirus one...was that the right one????
Turn Assistant voice typing on or off
  1. On your phone, open any app that you can type with, like Messages or Gmail.
  2. Tap where you can enter text.
  3. At the top of the keyboard, tap Settings. Voice typing.
  4. Turn Assistant voice typing on or off.
I'm not sure what link you chose.

This is probably where I went to grab it
I'm not sure what link you chose.

This is probably where I went to grab it
Well maybe it wasn't a link, but i went to google play store and checked "ESET" as you showed and saw about a dozen various apps. I didn't know which one you were referring too but i went by the name and chose the first top one which was the security and antivirus. Now, for some strange reason I could not find it in my app list. My phone has reacted nicely though so far since i installed it, or thought i did. One thing i noticed is that i followed the instruction on going to message and gmail and no keyboard appeared, so i could not turn off the voice as PeterOZ suggested.
Did you tap on the screen to enter text?
Or the link in post#7
Did you tap on the screen to enter text?
Or the link in post#7
new to mobile phone, but did see a lttle box that said "Compose" while in Gmail and yes, the keyboard appeared, but not on Message icon. Also, while trying to take care of this i am constantly told to delete the APK file. I don't even know what an apk file is and if its a good idea to do it.
An apk file is an android package kit.
When ESET first came out, it was not in googleplay so I had to enable downloads from 3rd party sources to download it. As soon as I downloaded it, I disabled download from 3rd part sites so the only downloads I use are from googleplay.

Is your Nokia G300a tracfone? I'm looking for a manual and I want to be sure I have the correct cell provider because things differ slightly from one to another. links for me: Tracfone Nokia G300 User Manual / Guide - TracfoneManual.com https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support/nokia-g300-user-guide

I can't help you with voice typing issue because I've disabled voice.
An apk file is an android package kit.
When ESET first came out, it was not in googleplay so I had to enable downloads from 3rd party sources to download it. As soon as I downloaded it, I disabled download from 3rd part sites so the only downloads I use are from googleplay.

Is your Nokia G300a tracfone? I'm looking for a manual and I want to be sure I have the correct cell provider because things differ slightly from one to another. links for me: Tracfone Nokia G300 User Manual / Guide - TracfoneManual.com https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support/nokia-g300-user-guide

I can't help you with voice typing issue because I've disabled voice.
Yes, TracFone is my provider. Manuals came with it, but as far as i know those manuals don't inform how to settle problems, correct me if i am wrong. I am aware about that other link where i could chat with Nokia supporters. I have to admit they are prompt with their responses, but unclear specifically how to settle some problems. Their remedy is to reset, which i had done and saw no improvement and to send it back to Tracfone for repair. I never approached them about the Apk file messages. I thought Eset was to stop apps invading my space , which it seem to have done on a limited basis, and yet when i go to apps in settings, I don't see it. I think I managed to stop Voice to take over and able to see the keyboard now without the intrusion of Voice, but like I said earlier, I would like to both to co-exist. Should i ignore that message to get rid of Apk files? Personally, I don't think it needs repair, just info on how to stop those pesty ads and app installation intrusions. One is to scan my phone for safety sake, and clean up, constantly.
See less See more
Did you look at the link in post #7
Did you look at the link in post #7
Yes, at first I was confused cause what you were showing are different from what i see on my phone, so i have to "round about way" to arrive at some of those suggestions you offered and I thank you for that. On my phone, to arrive at assistance i have a button on the left side of phone which has also the Sim card, I believe. I see a small pinhole there. When i arrived at Language which is located under "System" in Settings, and BTW, my version is the updated 11, if that means anything. I am partially satisfied. and will check out those hot links you included, such as root and etc. though with my limitations I will not try root. That is the problem that most newcomers come across if its an OS or phone. mainly i guess depends on the version one has...they are NOT laid out the same
way.
My husband owns a Tracfone but his is a flip and I've turned off wifi so he gets no data. Because of this, there are no apps installed through googleplay.

Try this
1. To access the Google Assistant services, press the Google Assistant key on the left side of your phone. (we don't have this so I can not test). It is the key below the SIM card tray.
2. To speak with Google Assistant, press the key and
ask your question. You see Google Assistant’s
answer on your phone’s display.

To turn off Google Assistant services:
Tap Settings > System > Gestures > Google
Assistant button, and turn the key OFF.

I'd like to know what apk keeps popping up. (Before I tell anyone to remove something, I need to know exactly what it is to determine if it is safe to remove it.) Please take a screenshot of the popup and post it here.
To take a screenshot: press and hold the Power button and the Volume DOWN key at the same time.
Then connect the phone to your computer using the charging cable.
Open Windows Explorer and you should see your Nokia.
Expand the folders on the phone until you see Photos and a folder called screenshots. Your screenshot will be in there.
See less See more
My husband owns a Tracfone but his is a flip and I've turned off wifi so he gets no data. Because of this, there are no apps installed through googleplay.

Try this
1. To access the Google Assistant services, press the Google Assistant key on the left side of your phone. (we don't have this so I can not test). It is the key below the SIM card tray.
2. To speak with Google Assistant, press the key and
ask your question. You see Google Assistant’s
answer on your phone’s display.

To turn off Google Assistant services:
Tap Settings > System > Gestures > Google
Assistant button, and turn the key OFF.

I'd like to know what apk keeps popping up. (Before I tell anyone to remove something, I need to know exactly what it is to determine if it is safe to remove it.) Please take a screenshot of the popup and post it here.
To take a screenshot: press and hold the Power button and the Volume DOWN key at the same time.
Then connect the phone to your computer using the charging cable.
Open Windows Explorer and you should see your Nokia.
Expand the folders on the phone until you see Photos and a folder called screenshots. Your screenshot will be in there.
Thank you so much....I will get at it tomorrow, its late here. As for the apk...it never gives a title...it just asks me to delete it...but i will send a screenshot when it appears. When you say get rid of wifi...won't i lose the function of phone calls? Also what are you referring to by not getting data?
Thank you so much....I will get at it tomorrow, its late here. As for the apk...it never gives a title...it just asks me to delete it...but i will send a screenshot when it appears. When you say get rid of wifi...won't i lose the function of phone calls? Also what are you referring to by not getting data?
I have many pics on my phone that is taking up much space, I believe. I would like to move them to my desktop and delete then from the phone. They are in Google Photo app. I've tried with no luck or understanding on how to do this.
When you say get rid of wifi...won't i lose the function of phone calls?
If you make calls over wifi, then yes. My husband and I make calls over cell not wifi. (His phone uses Verizon's network and my phone uses AT&T). I turn off wifi on my phone when I am away from home because I don't want the phone to waste time searching for wifi hotspots, which I would not use.

Sorry, I do not use google's photo app so I can't help you there.
I simply connect my phone to a computer using the charging cable and when the popup asks if I want to allow or deny, I tap allow. I look for the DCIM folder (I have an extra microsd card that music, videos and photos are stored on) in the sd card and move the photos I don't want on the phone to the computer. I also copy photos I don't want to lose. I store these photos off the phone and computer either on a data CD, USB stick or another micro sd card.

Your phone when you pull at the SIM tray has another slot for a microsd card. I found this
MicroSD card support up to 1000GB. Buy a microsd (microSDXC) card perhaps 256GB or 512GB and you can keep the pictures on your phone, just move them to the storage card. SDXC stands for Secure Digital Extra Capacity. The size is sd and any sd card over a certain size is XC, extra capacity.
See less See more
If you make calls over wifi, then yes. My husband and I make calls over cell not wifi. (His phone uses Verizon's network and my phone uses AT&T). I turn off wifi on my phone when I am away from home because I don't want the phone to waste time searching for wifi hotspots, which I would not use.

Sorry, I do not use google's photo app so I can't help you there.
I simply connect my phone to a computer using the charging cable and when the popup asks if I want to allow or deny, I tap allow. I look for the DCIM folder (I have an extra microsd card that music, videos and photos are stored on) in the sd card and move the photos I don't want on the phone to the computer. I also copy photos I don't want to lose. I store these photos off the phone and computer either on a data CD, USB stick or another micro sd card.

Your phone when you pull at the SIM tray has another slot for a microsd card. I found this
MicroSD card support up to 1000GB. Buy a microsd (microSDXC) card perhaps 256GB or 512GB and you can keep the pictures on your phone, just move them to the storage card. SDXC stands for Secure Digital Extra Capacity. The size is sd and any sd card over a certain size is XC, extra capacity.
I always thought u need wifi all the time. Don't believe the manuals suggested that. I tried that with the cable attached to the computer and do not believe I ever got a box as u depicted...but I will try again. I did get that message about the apk file and this time it did say it was about Phone security. Screenshot was not possibe...i took a pic of the screen but that info was not included...weird, but i wrote down what it said."Remove installed APK file, release space. Clean Apk off? ( First it tells me to remove it and then asks me to clean it off ? ) doesn't make sense to me, and finally the last line said "Modify, delete all files. Wonder why screenshot did not or was not able to include that info?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts