Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just ordered a MacBookPro and are waiting for it to be delivered. In the meantime I thought I might try to get some questions answered about transferring what is on my machine to the new one. I do not have a virus protection program like McAfee on my current Dell laptop. I have only the firewall that came with XP, on a wireless home network, and Spybot and Adaware that I run scans with. I have not had any symptoms that I am aware of, of any problems. Sometimes I slow down a little, but doing one of the adware scans usually takes care of that. I am pretty careful of where I go and what I click on.

Having said that, I can't be sure I don't have some malware or problem on my computer and I don't want to move one onto the new machine if there is. Can anyone suggest something that I can do before moving my files to the new machine to check them?

Do I have to check all files on the hard drive? What about photo and music files, do those need to be check? I assume the MacBookPro will not have virus protection either?

Thanks...
adam

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Macs are seemingly much safer than PCs (few of my not-so computer oriented friends swear that Macs DONT get infections) however it would be good to check the files before you transfer... you should be able to check them with any good anti virus/spyware program, Avast can scan whatever u want it to

it would probably pay to have the computer clean before you transfer download some decent Anti virus/spyware/malware ect ect and scan, it may even be worth you while having a hijackthis log checked if you are really worried about infections...

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
hiya does anyone know how to get rid of trojan pact 149
If you suspect you have any malware, I suggest you post a Hijackthis log in our Malware Removal forum

Here is how to do that:

Go to the above link and have a Reply window for your new thread ready to go.

Hijackthis:
go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Click the blue "Download the Hijackthis Installer" link
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop. DO NOT just press run from the website
  • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
  • Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Please also do this:
  • Open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button.
  • Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.
  • Click the "Save List" button. After you click the "Save List" button, you will be asked where to save the file. Pick a place to save it then the list should open in notepad.
  • Copy and paste that list here in your reply

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
What are "unpatched viruses"? :confused:
Viruses that are active and can sneak through a hole that isn't patched. The patch closes the hole/vulnerability, making the virus useless.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I downloaded Avira anti virus and did a scan and the only problem it uncovered was a trojan labeled... TR/Ncase.A.3 It recommended quarantine and that is what I did. Is that all I need to do, or should I delete it too? I am getting ready to transfer files from the Dell to the new computer, am I all ready to go?

Thanks..adam

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, If you don't want to post the Hijackthis log, you should be ready to go.....you can delete the quarantined item.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Byteman...thanks a lot. I will delete that item. I'm still thinking about a hijack log. I realized today that I have all my family photos still on memory cards from my camera, which will allow me to import them very easily without taking anything off the old computer. Plus a lot of my music files actually came off my own CDs and none from downloading online. So I am going to rip my CDs to my new computer and this will take care of 3/4s of my problems. Leaving me a little time to work out what to do with the rest.

Thanks...adam

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
One good way to ensure that there is no malware present, on the old Windows puter or any CDs, disks, external drives, etc is to do some online scanning: You can scan CDs, if you put one in the tray before clicking to Scan> you have to do the full scan, "MY COMPUTER" or "ENTIRE COMPUTER" to scan cd drives etc.

Housecall online scan:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools

Or this one:

HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.