Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running Windows ME and would like to upgrade to Windows XP. I would like to do a clean install but I don't want to have to reconfigure all of my settings for things such as Outlook, IE, Quicken, etc. Windows XP has a new feature to transfer settings from an old PC to a new one, but this obviously does not work when simply upgrading the same PC. Microsoft says I can create partitions on my drive and make it act like two separate PC's, but they don't provide any step by step on how to do it, as well as how to delete the original partition after the settings are transferred so I have just one running OS. Is this too difficult for a novice like myself? Any help would be great! Also, as I browse around these threads, I see alot about backing up the registry. Keeping in mind that I'm a novice with OS's, how do I do that?

thanks again

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess I'll just schedule a day off to reconfigure and reload my applications and settings. Seems a bit too complicated for me. I guess it would be better that way for me anyhow to start with a clean hard drive. I think I've sufficiently messed up my registry and other tid bits to the point of needing to start over with a fresh drive. Heck, maybe I'll get a new hard drive too while I'm at it. Thanks for the reading info.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.