Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of floppy disks that contain diagnostic programs that I use to test ram and motherboards. I would like to get these on CD's but they are made in such that you cannot copy them.

Using the floppy Copy Disk command will not work to even make a second floppy copy. Even a greater Issue is for me to get them on cd's.

I tried Using Nero to make the bootable disk with my bootable diagnostic floppy in the drive to copy. But no luck

Does anyone know of a way that I can accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance
Timone

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I think this will work. Put your floppy in the drive. Right click it and open it. Click on edit - select all. Then edit again and copy. Go to the desktop and right click and chose New Folder - when new folder is created right click on it and chose Paste. Your files from the floppy should now be in the Folder. You should be able to use Nero to burn the folder to a CD-R. You should be able to do this with any number of folders (from floppies).
Let me know if it works for you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you create a folder (say: C:\floppy_disks)
and you use the 'DOS' command "xcopy a: c:\floppy_disks" (without the quotes) that that will work.
now you can burn the files to disk with nero or any other burning program

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Originally posted by Timone:
I tried Using Nero to make the bootable disk with my bootable diagnostic floppy in the drive to copy. But no luck
Keep in mind that after you've burned that floppy to CD you won't be able to see any files on the CD.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That would depend on what the format of the bootable floppy is. When I burn a bootable MS-DOS floppy onto a bootable CD, I can access the files just like on the floppy. With the MS-DOS CD-ROM driver, I can also access the rest of the files on the CD as a separate drive letter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help but, The floppy is a self booting diagnostic program, the folders are all hidden, and when hidden files are shown the disk is just full of folder icons that have all division characters for there names, all folders are also said to be empty.

This software is protected some way!

Nero cannot duplicate it using the make bootable disk feature.
Nor will xcopy copy the files to a folder on my PC.
The Windows Copy Disk feature will not even make another floppy.

It seems to be protected with some overlay or something, if that makes any sense. Is there a program that can image this floppy for me???

Thanks guys,
Timone

·
Registered
485 Posts
This may be a dumb suggestion for the lack of any other, but have you tried drag and drop from floppy to Cd? Then again if it's protected it most likely won't work either. Oh well forget that!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
have you tried the diskcopy command?

diskcopy a: c:\floppy_disk /V

if that works you would be able to burn it from there

nevermind just tested it it will work floppy to floppy but not to hard drive

·
Registered
485 Posts
Would Norton Ghost do it? Just throwing that on the pile!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried using Norton Ghost, it would only let me select Hard disk drives as the source and destination. It won't let me select the floppy as the source.

Thanks,
Timone

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just a suggestion, maybe some program could make an .iso image of it.

Don't know if this would work with diskettes but I've been able to .iso image CD's that I couldn't otherwise copy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Would the mfg have it on cd! but you'd probably have to pay for it! Right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know this issue here I think

I have tough test on floppies and Tough Test uses its own operating system and file system on these little diskettes.

Being as the file system and OS is 100% foreign, I could never copy them or image them or anything.

Is there a RAW type imager?

I tried all the common ones ie. Winimage and others.

I gave up on it and I dont give up often

I'll bet we have the same Diagnostics software? Is yours Tough Test Pro?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Did you actually try the Nero bootable disk option? I've put Linux and DOS bootable floppies on a CD with it, so I suspect that it might work. Use a CD-RW disk for experimentation, so you can erase it when you're tinkering until you get it working. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
The diskette that I was talking about, yes I tried all common apps that we normally use to make boot CD's including Nero.

The OS and disk format for the Tough tools is foreign to Windows Linux etc.

jameso321

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.