Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
Can anyone tell me how to transfer video (vhs)to pc and from pc burn DVD.Because i want to keep a old family gathering video.Thank you so much in advance
P.S:OS Wins98 / XP PRO

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey. You're going to need a Video Input for your computer. Some Video Cards come with S-Video in. If you don't have this you may need either a PCI card for Video Input or a USB device for Video Editing that has component/RCA inputs. From there you will need to encode those videos into a format that will be usable by the program you use to make that DVD.

Here's a suggestion:
K-World USB-DVD Maker click here for product info

I believe it comes with some software (CyberLink PowerProducer 2) to make a DVD playable on your home DVD player. less than $50.
You won't be limited to that particular software, you can use whatever you like, as long as you encode the video files for the DVD with a format that that software program supports.

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
A great way to do that is to use something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-144-504&depa=0

You can get it for $143 net after mail in rebate of $30. The nice thing about that is it has the S-Video, composite, and audio inputs for your VCR and it encodes the video to MPEG-1 (VCD) MPEG-2 (DVD), MPEG-4 which is the emerging standard for DVD and Divx so you can fit 10 hours on a DVD (you need to have software that will burn MPEG-4 and you need a player that plays it). But even if you want DVD MPEG-2 (compatible with DVD players), it will burn it without using your computer resources. So, you can be encoding one video while your burning another onto DVD or just using your computer for something else. If use software encoders, they take up resources on your computer and unless you have a blazing fast machine, you will be able to do little else while its encoding. Also, the encoding software is notorious for conflicting with other drivers.

The other thing you can do is use the capture card from your computer (if you have one). Many come with analog inputs (i.e., S-video, RCA composite video and audio). However, I have found most of those cards to be pretty poor at capturing video. If you don't have such a video card, you will need to buy one or buy the item I linked above. Another nice feature of that encoder is it has a TV tuner so you can run your cable into it and record TV shows in MPEG and watch them later on your puter or run an output from your puter to your TV display.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ah, yes. The Plextor ConvertX is a very nice piece of equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.