Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DVD player refuses to play DVDs, only CDs. If I put in any DVD, movie, game, it won't even recognize it. The DVD drive will spin (Really loudly, might I add), and the computer doesn't really freeze up, but slows like hell when the drive is spinning. After about 2 minutes, or I give up and eject the DVD (Whichever is first), the computer goes back to being fine. My drive plays CDs fine. (It's a Samsung SD-616T, btw)
Obviously, I'd like to fix this problem. But I can't. I've enable DMA, reloaded the drivers, uninstalled the drive and had Windows reinstall it... nada y nada y pues nada.
So, I've just about given up on that. What I want to do now is take out my DVD drive and replace it with one of the ones that works in my house. I've got a Dell Dimension 8250. Stupid as Dell can be, it's set up pretty easily to open and fool around with, but there's one thing I can't figure out. As far as I can see, the DVD drive is only connected to two things. A long flat grey bundle of wires that ends in alot of pins (An IDE cable, I think that is?), which I can remove easily. Then there's a white plastic thing that has about 5 cables going into, red, white, black, some other colors. I can't get this thing out... Do I need to take it out? Is there some trick to it that I'm missing? I assume I'd need to take out this plug and plug it into the other drive, but I don't want to try forcing it, I'm afraid I'll break something. (Also, what is this things name? Is that the IDE cable? I'm not really sure...)
Any help'd be awesome, thanks. I just got UT2004 yesterday and my DVD reader not working is killing me :(

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
He's ok warranty wise. I just asked if I could install a second HD & they said it wouldn't affect my warranty. I installed a dvd-burner not long ago & I COULD NOT get that freaking power supply cord detached from the old cd drive! I pulled & pulled! I busted up my knuckles, but you just hae to REALLY pull, it WILL come off- it just doesn't want to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, I should be fine warranty wise. They tell you to open the case and do certain things if you call Tech Support, even. A Dell isn't a PS2 :p
Yah, I'm definitely going to get a bloody refund and a new DVD drive :mad:. I want to play UT2004 so much!
Alright, so I've just gotta pull really hard? Alright, I'll try that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.