Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just bought a sony clie from a friend of mine. Have downloaded all the software but cannot HotSync. The error I get is "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application." I am using the USB port. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this problem.
Thanks a lot,
Jason

·
Registered
403 Posts
jsearch said:
Hello All,
I just bought a sony clie from a friend of mine. Have downloaded all the software but cannot HotSync. The error I get is "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application." I am using the USB port. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this problem.
Thanks a lot,
Jason
A somewhat common issue that can have a few causes. Usually it's because HotSync is using the port already. Refer to this link and follow the steps carefully.

edit: pardon, that web site didn't like me linking to it so I just pasted the relevant part here.

How to troubleshoot Palm™ HotSync® operation issues when using a USB connection to the Palm OS® 4.1 operating system and the Palm™ Desktop 4.0.1 software.

SOLUTION:
Follow this procedure to troubleshoot Palm™ HotSync® operation issues when using a USB connection to the Palm OS® 4.1 operating system and the Palm™ Desktop 4.0.1 software.

IMPORTANT:

Download and install all appropriate handheld updates from the Sony® CLIÉ® Handheld Support web site at http://www.sony.com/peg/support.
The Palm™ HotSync® operation is only supported when the user has administrator privileges on the computer. Restricted user accounts are not supported.
If a Palm™ HotSync® operation is successful when connected directly via the USB cable, but fails when using the USB cradle, then the issue is with the USB cradle and service may be necessary.

Ensure all previous Palm™ Desktop software versions have been properly uninstalled before the Palm™ Desktop for CLIÉ® software is installed.
IMPORTANT: To protect the user data when uninstalling previous Palm™ Desktop software, move or copy the user folder to another location.

Ensure the USB cradle or cable is connected directly to the computer.
NOTE: Ensure the handheld is not connected through a USB hub or another USB device.

Ensure the handheld is securely connected to the USB cradle or cable.
On the taskbar in the system tray, click the HotSync® Manager [FIG. 1] icon.
In the HotSync® Manager menu, ensure Local USB is selected.
Perform a Palm™ HotSync® operation.
If the issue still exists, connect the cradle or cable to a different USB port on the computer.
If the issue still exists, perform a soft reset on the handheld.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Performing a hard reset will delete all added programs, updates and records stored on the handheld.

If the issue still exists, perform a hard reset on the handheld.
IMPORTANT: After the hard reset procedure returns the handheld to the factory default configuration, all of the appropriate updates will again need to be downloaded and installed from the Sony® CLIÉ® Handheld Support web site at http://www.sony.com/peg/support.

If the issue still exists, remove all unknown and conflicting USB devices in Device Manager of the computer operating system.
If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service may be required.