Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using: Windows Vista Home Premium

Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

Connected to home router and the connection speed says its fully connected.

Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

Processor: Intel Core™2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz

used space: 93.8 GB
Free Space: 192 GB

Other things I have on my laptop: Music files, itunes, norton antivirus, the sims 3.

I got my laptop at the end of June so it's practically new. Yet it's been giving me problems and I have tried a lot!
I clear cookies and cache often. I have firefox. It SAYS my internet connection is 100 PERCENT CONNECTED. So not true. Videos loaded sooo slowly! It took me over 20 minutes to load a minute long video on youtube, and I really can't watch any other videos because it buffers every 2 seconds. Game sites like Habbo Hotel are extremely laggy and slow, and this never happened on my desktop computer that runs on XP. And NOW youtube videos are literally at dial-up speed! Everything is, even if I load a webpage. I'm paying for high speed yet getting dial-up!
Is this a router problem? Our router is probably 3-4 years old. D-Link. It is sharing 2 desktop computers, and 3 laptops. Is that too much? Do routers have priority? My moms laptop is soo fast and so is the one desktop computer. We did a test and my moms laptop downloads things almost 3 times faster than mine.

Also I've tried updating my vista constantly and I just checked and my Windows is completely up to date. I thought maybe Norton Anti virus would be the problem so I put it on 'silent mode', disabled the firewall, the protection and still nothing helped the slow internet.
I really think it's my router because I went to my friend's house and connected to her router, and my internet was super fast.

I would appreciate any help, and please try to be clear, as I am not and have never been great at fixing computer issues.

Also: I couldn't even register for this site on my own laptop. I had to use my moms because it was soo slow to register and then go to my email.

·
Registered
304 Posts
what are the other computers and laptops doing? are they always connected? have you tried turning them off and using just your lappy?
what speed is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/ it is sounding like one of the other computers are using up all the bandwidth.have you tried your router at your moms? so many questions i know,but try the simple things first

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
  • For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
  • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.