Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIMEM hangup! I am trying to help a friend who has a GATEWAY 2000 with WINDOWS 95. While on the internet one day, the system suddenly kicked her out and off. Everytime she would try to reboot the system would hang up. When she did F8 and tried to go to safemode, she could get the menu but it would not access Safemode. So, I tried to help. I did F1, checked the system setup, everything looked ok. I tried F8 and no option would work except command prompt in safe mode only. I tried to boot to a win98 setup disk and got an error "invalid system disk".
While in the command prompt safe mode, I ran a scan disk and that ran fine with no problems. Then I tried to type Win to get to windows. We kept getting the error, HIMEM.SYS not found. When I did a dir command, HIMEM was certainly there. So, at a loss I did a format C: Then tried to reboot with win98 floppy. Invalid system disk. Rebooted with the Gateway system disk and it starts to load. Gets to Himem is testing extended memory. Done. Then it hangs and just sits there. We cannot get to a Dos prompt or any menu other than F1 setup. Will not boot to any other floppy or cd. Have we just killed it completely?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
How much memory is supposed to be in this PC?
Is it one stick or two?
IF two sticks, try swapping them.
IF only one, carefully remove it and reseat it.

Also, when it attempts to boot, are there any beeps from the system? IF so, how many? Long or short?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.