Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrading my power supply from a Thermaltake 430w to a Corsair TX650W I've seen my CPU and GPU temps increase by 5-10C. Why did this happen?

If anything I expected my temps to be lower with the new PSU as it has a fan on the bottom, while the old one didn't. The old PSU came with my case which has intake and exhaust fans controlling the airflow, would the tx650w be interfering with that somehow?

This is my case http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/midtower/soprano/vb1000sws.asphttp://www.thermaltake.com/product/C.../vb1000sws.asp

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
8800GTS 320MB

old PSU:
CPU core idle temps were around 37-42 and load temps 57-59
GPU idle temps 65-69 (fan at 60%), load temps 86-89

new PSU:
CPU core idle 42-47, load 59-62
GPU idle 75-79, load is about the same as with old psu, havn't done proper stress testing yet though

The higher temps forced me to lower my already small CPU overclock as well (2.7ghz down from 2.8 - 2.6 is stock). Fans are working as they were and heat sinks have been recently cleaned of dust.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Firstly, your case is not made with overclocking in mind - it is a very well made case meant as a good upgrade over a bundled consumer case.

With regards to the PSU - they do run warm (effectively a radiator) so if your system does not move air very efficiently your mobo will get hotter.

As a good test you should run a HD game to bring up the temp and then run a hardware temp test - then open your case front fully, wait an hour for the case ambient temp to go down then run the same HD game for the same duration and then do the same hardware temp test - I think you will find a difference of several degrees - let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already always leave it open. Unless you mean the second front case door as well, in which I can shave off about 16C in GPU idle temps and about 4-5C from the CPU. The only drawback to that is there's no mesh like in the 1st door to stop clunks of dust coming in, and I cannot access any of the power/reset buttons without closing the 2nd door.

And if I bump up the GPU fan to 100% that temp drop can be over 20C, with the old PSU the lowest I saw for it was 49C. Now it's about 54.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is your first starting point if you are intent on overclocking - Change your case.

The best all-rounder i have come accross is the CM Centurion 590 whoch will accomodate anything you care to stick in it, including a head mounted 240mm long radiator for water cooling.

As for dust build up - if you have two exaust fans gong in a CM590, you do not need dust filters in the front intakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just noticed the link wasn't working in the first post, edited.

I'll keep that in mind, I had a look at the Antec 900 Two case earlier - how does that compare to the one you mentioned?

But in terms of actually buying a new case, I'm still reluctant and will most likely upgrade my PC first which probably won't happen until next year. If I could upgrade now, I would.

Until then is there anything else I can do? Is the PSU fan not working as it should? Or does this 5-10C temp increase happen to everyone who goes from a PSU like the one I had to one with a fan on the bottom? Which brings the question if that fan really is the culprit then why do they even build PSU's with a fan on the bottom if it's going to cause heat problems rather than improve them?

·
Registered
274 Posts
PSU's with bottom fans are meant for cases like the one the 590 etc because they draw their own air seperatly, and not interfering with the case fans. The Antec case you mentioned is a good one, as are most of the Antec gaming caes - however i am old fasioned (even though im 33) and prefer flexibility/performance over looks) - but each to their own on that score as long as the case performs!.

·
Registered
274 Posts
With reagrds to your current case, if you can fit more fans then do so. You will only get 1-2dB increase with two additional (good quality) fans which you can then use on your next computer upgrade - in your shoes i would do so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.