Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I partioned my hard drive so my operation system is on "C" and all other on "D". I did this so when I install programs I put on the "D" drive and when it get screwy I reformat my "D" without losing windows. Anyways, When I go do dowload by default windows want to use my "C" drive. I have to manually change it to "D." Is there a way It can automatically go to my "D" drive.
THanks . This forum will really help me learn about my computer. By what Ive been reading you are all great to learn from. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Hi – welcome to the board.

Most programs default to Program Files on the C drive. Some crummy mom and pop software will want its own heading directly under C. Either way they want to be on the C drive.

You can usually redirect them during the install. Create a “Programs” file on your D drive and browse to that.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone using your strategy. Usually if you have problems to the point where you would format your D drive and reinstall all of the programs you would want to do a fresh Windows install. Your registry and other things in your Windows folder are probably messed up.

I keep all of my programs on the C drive. I have a Ghost of the C drive both on CDR and on my D drive. The Ghost was taken soon after a clean Windows install with all of my programs configured and updated. Anytime Windows gets klunky I can just format the C drive and put things back like they were when everything was fresh and the computer was running well. The files I Archive on other drives are not affected.

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
This tells you how to setup a default download location in IE. I assume that's what your looking for. If you need help editing your registry for the default download location, let us know.

I also attached an image.

Let us know what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi slipe!
sounds interesting making a ghost image of the C' drive . How do you do that ? I too have a cd writer , so do let me know how you make an image since my programs on the C ' drive are almost 2.5 gb , as well as keeping an image on the D' , since I too have a partitioned drive

Let me know please

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.