Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting togeather a computer for my daughter and will need to get her connected to the Internet. Her computer will be upstairs in her bedroom. I'm just alittle confused on what I should buy.

The Wireless Router (Which is downstairs) is a NetGear MR814v2

I went to Netgears website and they list THIS as being compatable with the router.

But I see THIS on ebay and am wondering if it would be a better buy and if it would work?

Computer-> AMD 500, 380 sdram, 2gig segate, 64meg nvidia, FIC - PA-2013 MB.

This manual just say's USB no version number but it's probably the first version.

Any Tips?
Thanks
Cowboy

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
What information do you need?
Just because you have a Netgear router doesn't mean you have to buy Netgear wireless adapters. The brands are interchangeable. The first one you mentioned connects to a USB port on the computer. The second one plugs into a PCI slot inside the computer. Both devices will do the same thing. If you want to get a USB wireless network adapter, there are many available that cost far less than $169. That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't need to have a usb connection and I can get that on ebay for about the same cost as the PCI card. I just want to get whatever is the best for the least amount of cash. As you can see from my post the computer is pretty old. It does have a free PCI slot and right now I have a eithernet card in it and it's connected to the router with a cable on my desk. I want to move the computer upstairs and don't want to run any cables. My girlfriends laptop is connected to the wireless network and works fine.

I just don't know allot about this stuff and am looking for the CHEAPEST way to get this old computer online.

Thanks
Cowboy

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, since the USB device can be positioned for optimum reception, normally they work better than PCI cards. Unless you use an external antenna on the PCI card, it's antenna is stuck behind the machine, not exactly in an optimal location. You can put the USB device in the clear for better coverage. Also, as DoubleHelix already mentioned, 802.11b is many times slower than USB 1.1 interface speeds, so that isn't a performance issue.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since the antenna doesn't appear to be removable, adding a hi-gain antenna is probably out. You can orient the antenna more horizontal, and do the same with the wireless router's antennas. This could help if the units are below/above each other. Of course, you can also reposition the USB unit away from sources of interference and where you get maximum signal strength.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.