Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a predicument on my hands -- I have to wipe the hardrive of a client computer. It is running windows NT 4.0 CD rom does not work, when I run the format C: command it tells me it cannot lock the drive --- I tried to delete the partition in Disk admin also tried right clicking on the C:\ drive and formatting. With those two options I get the message cannot delete a partition that has windows nt system files --- I do not have the NT boot disk nor do I want to spend that much effort on a pc that is going to be donated to a church / school ---any suggestions ?????

·
Super Moderator
46,565 Posts
You cannot delete / format a system partition from within windows. There are a few ways to do this.

1 Download and run the hd mfg's utility. It will give you the option to write zeros [LLF] to the drive. This will erase ALL data.

2 Boot with a win2k or XP cd and run the recovery console. From the RC you can delete / format any drive.

Using a win9x boot disk MAY work. Fdisk cannot delete an ntfs logical drive that resides in an extended partition. It can delete a primary ntfs drive; this is one of the reasons I never suggest using win9x / dos tools on nt based os.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.