Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've spent the last couple of hours trying to learn as much as possible about RAM so i can upgrade my system. However, there's a few things that are really getting me confused.

I'm sure you guys get this a lot so i apologise in advance if i've missed some crucial information.

I have a DELL Inspiron 6400 laptop. My manual says i have two SODIMM connectors that can take 256MB, 512MB, 1GB ad 2G. The connectors are apparently 1.8-V SODIMM DDR-2.

I'm running 512MB RAM at the moment so i guess that means two 256 sets?

I would like to take these out and replace them with two 1GB sets. It seems reasonably cheap, i've found some Corsair ones for £20. See description below:

Corsair (VS2GSDSKIT667D2) 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2 5300 SODIMM Laptop Memory CL5

What i'm confused about is the 667MHz number and the PC2 5300 number. I can't seem to find corresponding numbers in my Handbook. I want to make sure that these chips will work ok in my laptop. Fromw hat i read the system will work on the MHz of the lowest chip? And that if the PC2 number is too high the chips might work at all? may hvae got myself confused here not sure.

I also want to check that if the new RAM doesnt work then the worst thing that can happen realistically is that my computer wont turn on and a simple fix is to put the old RAM chips in. i.e. i dont want to cause accidental damage to my laptop.

Other specs that may be necessary:
XP Home
Laptop is 32 months old
T2400 1.83 GHZ intel pentium processor

can't think of anything else

on a side note in my sysinfo i have some stats i'm not really sure about:
total physical memory: 512MB
available physical memory: 76.70MB
total virtual memory: 2GB
available virtual memory: 1.96GB
page file space: 1.20GB

not sure if these values are related or whetheer i can optomise them in some way?

Thanks very much in advance,
James

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Corsair guarantees those chips as compatible for your system: http://corsair.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=437751

About the sysinfo, you could maybe increase your virtual memory or page file, but it really is screaming that you don't have enough RAM, or then you have way too many useless memory hog startup processes enabled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent, thanks for doing that.

so is it as simple as turn laptop off, take battery out, ground myself, take out 256MB sticks, put in two new sticks, turn on laptop and everythings fine.

i hesitate to sound so stupid but i'm assuming i dont need to install drivers or configure anything?

thanks again for replying,
James

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
As long as you read around and know which screws to loosen and such, there's nothing but take old ones out, put new ones in and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Not at all really. The kit is just "matched pair" of those modules, which means absolutely nothing at all. They're just two of the single ones, packaged together. Whichever solution is cheaper, go for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.