Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am currently back home from college on christmas break. I set up my email account on my parents computer back over thanksgiving and it worked just fine. When i got back after finals it worked for the first few days, however it started giving me the following message when i try to send an email:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.service.ohio-state.edu', Server: 'smtp.service.ohio-state.edu', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 <[email protected]>... Relaying denied for [216.255.15.27]', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
the address listed in the error message is the one i am trying to send the email to. i am able to recieve mail without and problem, but i cannot send any messages. does anyone have an idea why this is?

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Sounds like the address is wrong for your outgoing POP server or SMTP server. Are the settings for the schools mail server correct for what is listed in the error message?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Looks like they've made some changes. Could be of some help:
http://www.net.ohio-state.edu/openrelay/
http://www.net.ohio-state.edu/openrelay/faqopenrelay.html
According to their site, your settings could be incorrect.
Excerpt:
If you use a commercial Internet Service Provider but send (relay) your outgoing e-mail through OIT's e-mail server (smtp.service.ohio-state.edu), you must change your e-mail software's configuration setting so that it points to the server provided by your Internet Service Provider and not OIT's. It's a relatively simple process to enter the new SMTP server name in the e-mail client software's configuration settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.