Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got a new liteon dvd rom and now that I have it installed I can't get it to play a dvd. It will, though, play a cd. I have my cd rom set as the slave and the dvd set as master.But I have the top plug of my ide ribbon plugged into the slave and the second one plugged into my slave(dvd). Does that make a difference? As far as I know all drivers are installed and the device is shown as working properly in my device mngr. I have an athlon 2200+ 1.79GHz with 256 ram running wpx pro sp2 .Thanks in advance for any help. Scott p.s. thanks for the birthday greeting. Once you get to my age it is just another day.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Make sure that on the back on each drive that you set the jumpers correctly. One drive should be set as Master and the other as Slave. Cable placement is only really important if you are using Cable Select and then the drive at the end of the cable becomes the master. Still its not a bad idea to have the Master at the end.

Also in the BIOS setup make sure the IDE devices are set to AUTO not NONE or manually set to CD/DVD. The drives will still work but not necessarily properly or at their fastest speed.

In Windows you need to install a DVD player to watch DVD movies. Hopefully one came with the drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks T6. I checked the bios and everything is set at auto and the drive came with the nero cd so I have the player. I guess I need to go out and get a special screw driver so I can switch the drives. Whoever put in my cd-rom used some kind of torque screw and I can't turn with a reg phillips screw driver. Story of my life! I tried to just twist the ribbon and change the connections but that did not work?? My cd-rom is set as master and the dvd-r as the slave. Thanks again, Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.