Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I would be grateful if anyone could offer me any help. My son has a laptop that has decided that it will not power up at all, it just makes a noise when I hold in the on button and it powers off. I have tried to press f8 when it is powering up but to no effect. Could anybody please advise me on what to do, otherwise I will have to take it to a shop and most probably they will charge me a fortune to look at it. Many thanks Mitch:)

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
have you tried with the adapter?

does the lite on the adapter come on, do any of the lites on the laptop come on?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Yes the mains adaptor is plugged in and that green light is showing, then when I try and switch on the green power light comes on, and also the 2 little green lights underneath come on then they all go out but the battery power one stays on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Try removing the battery first. Then power it on with the adapter, maybe even trying a different electrical outlet. Does this make any difference at all?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is it that the battery is missing or you have removed it from the laptop? I'm kinda familiar with those old Dell models and the battery is located next to the floppy or CD rom drive in front of the laptop. There's a switch on the bottom of the laptop that allows you to remove it, just like you would the drive. Just hold down the switch and the battery slides right out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiya yes I am, all the lights come on when I press the power button then they just power off. I'm baffled it's worked fine for the last year we have had it, then suddenly it's decided not to work. Mitch.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Try what mcse72 suggested. Remove the battery and see if the ac adapter will power up the laptop. If it does, then the battery could be the cause. If not, then you might have more serious problems.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There could be a loose cable inside your laptop. I was recently fixing an latitude c600 (lcd problems). I took it apart no problem, but when I was testing the screen, it went wierd.

When I plugged it in, the pc turned on by itself, hard drive and cd drive turned on for a second, and then the laptop powered off. It kept doing that until I unplugged it. (I eventully fixed it, and repaired the lcd to its working state)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi thanks I will try and open it up and have a look, just don't want to ruin anything else as I don't really know what I am doing. Do you guys here think that it has come to the end of its life?? or is it repairable? Thanks Mitch.

·
Registered
862 Posts
mitch73 said:
Hi thanks I will try and open it up and have a look, just don't want to ruin anything else as I don't really know what I am doing. Do you guys here think that it has come to the end of its life?? or is it repairable? Thanks Mitch.
Its really simple. Undo the necessary screws, pry open the keyboard locks, and your in. Once your in, make sure everything is secure (if you remove stuff like the keyboard, make sure you remember how to re-asemble it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.